neil levang's cover of "Galloping Guitar"

Watch and share videos from youtube

neil levang's cover of "Galloping Guitar"

Postby rhirvine » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:59 pm

I came across this while guitar surfing around Youtube. I didn't realize that Lawrence Welk's guitarist could do Chet Atkins stuff. He and Buddy Merrill did a nice rendition of "San Antonio Rose" in which LeVang does a chorus using fingerstyle with a straight pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUlzCw4nUoM&NR=1
rhirvine

Re: neil levang's cover of "Galloping Guitar"

Postby Gary Smith » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:07 am

I just happened to see that show Saturday night on LW's "country and western" show. I have to give the band a lot of credit, they could play a lot of different styles, including some decent country sounds, and Buddy and Neil were always my favorite Welk performers. The show was done in 1968 and they celebrated LW's 65th birthday that same show.
Long time ago.
Gary Smith

Postby baggetta » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:34 am

Levang and Merrill were a great set of guitarists on the Welk show. I used to wait for their appearances. There are several on YouTube, but there is one I've been looking for for some time. Buddy Merrill playing "When the Red Red Robin Comes Bob Bob Bobin' Along.". He did a great rendition of this but it doesn't look like it was caught for YouTube.
Best
Al B.
baggetta

Postby David Elliott » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:09 pm

Levang and Merrill were a great set of guitarists on the Welk show

One of the best performances I ever saw of Neil Levang, was with him and Buddy Merrill playing 'Estrelita' together. Levang was playing a very strange shaped guitar, but it had a beautiful tone. This video was on YouTube in the past, but has been removed!

Unfortunately, I didn't record it at the time...

David
David Elliott

Postby David Elliott » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:40 pm

I checked YouTube again and the song Estrelita played by Neil Levang and Buddy Merrill of the Welk show has indeed been removed.

I did find this video of a very young Buddy Merrill (must have been in the late fifties) playing fingerstyle (sort of) while using a flat pick! He plays a short run in his rendition of 'San Antonio Rose' that makes me think he might have listened to Chet's arrangement a few times! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzijkpGj ... re=related

David
David Elliott

Return to Video Files