Takamine Th5c Nylon?

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Takamine Th5c Nylon?

Postby rob » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:39 am

I'm on the look out for a nylon string electro acoustic, does anyone have experience of the Takamine Th5c guitar with the cool tube preamp, any thoughts?
https://www.takamine.com/TH5C
Regards
Rob(uk)
rob

Re: Takamine Th5c Nylon?

Postby BillB » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:20 am

Rob,
I have a Takamine CP-132SC nylon string that I bought in 1996. It looks just like that guitar, but it doesn't have the cool tube preamp. In most recent years, it's become my go-to guitar. I replaced the pickup a few years ago with a Barbera transducer (still has the original preamp), and it sounds pretty incredible. I never really liked the original pickup that much, but they may have a different setup now. I'd probably prefer a little narrower neck, but it's a very nice guitar. I don't know if that helps much, but if you can possibly try one out, it would help.

Bill Bailey
BillB

Postby Roger Pratt » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:08 pm

I have the same model Takamine that Bill has except mine is early 2000's. I followed BIll's suggestion and installed a Barbera transducer in mine as well. You cannot get a better electric nylon sound! Mine has the 2" nut but I got used to it and wouldn't change a thing.
Roger Pratt

Postby DagerRande » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:06 am

Roger,this may seem like a silly question, but when you say that you installed a Barbera transducer, did YOU install it yourself? I asked this because I'm not the kind of person who feels I can do anything significant with my guitars other than to play them!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Roger Pratt » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:53 pm

Rande, I did not install the Barbera pup, my buddy did BUT it is simple to do especially if you use the preamp already in the guitar. My buddy replaced the original cool tube preamp that failed with one he found on ebay. My friend is an accomplished luthier around Central Ky.
Roger Pratt

Postby BillB » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:51 am

I installed the Barbera transducer in mine and used the preamp that came in the Takamine. It doesn't have the Cool Tube preamp. The hardest part was measuring everything to make sure it would fit my guitar. Other than that, I had to cut 2 wires and splce the wires from the Barbera to the preamp. Because of the measurements being correct, it was a direct replacement for the saddle and thinline style pickup that came in the Takamine.

Bill Bailey
BillB

Postby DagerRande » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:27 pm

Roger, I'm glad you have a friend who is skilled in that.

Bill, I haven't forgotten what you taught in your classes, so I'm not surprised that you could do it yourself!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby BillB » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:27 am

Well, Rande. This past weekend, I took the innards out of a Godin that I bought used on eBay several years ago. It has had issues from the time that I bought it, and I finally decided to see if I can fix it. I don't know how it's going to work out, but I've decided to give it a shot. Chances are, it will turn out worse, or I will have invested twice as much money than what I'll ever be able to sell it for. I may have gotten in over my head on this one.

Bill B.
BillB

Return to Guitars and Equipment