Chet Atkins and Echo....

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Chet Atkins and Echo....

Postby Spadaro Paolo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi guys, I wanted to learn something about the echo effect.

What types of echo did Chet use? Did you use only Echosonic?

I am very fond of vintage, give problems to vintage models?

I tried a roland sre -555 tape, very nice.

I know that Roland has also done RE-201, as an Italian I'm also proud of Binson Echorec, what do you think?

I link you a video where I try a Roland sre-555

https://youtu.be/Tpmt_DxBf0M

Paolo
Spadaro Paolo

Re: Chet Atkins and Echo....

Postby Norm » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:35 pm

He used several ways to get his echo, too numerous to go into here. Several ways using reel to reel and top products as they evolved

The Paul Yandell biography "Second To The Best" goes into a lot of detail about Chet and echo units
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby bill raymond » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:53 pm

Early on he used a Magnecord tape recorder--one that had the reels spaced apart and the heads in an S-shaped loop between them--because he could move the record and playback heads to a position where he could get the delay he desired. Later he used an Echoplex for a while, then more recently he used a Lexicon unit. There may have been others, but I think I have hit on the 3 major echo-producing devices he used.
bill raymond

Postby bill raymond » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:18 am

Somehow I neglected to mention that Chet also used a Ray Butts Echosonic amplifier that had a tape echo device built into it. I don't know for sure, but I seriously doubt he ever used the Echosonic for recording, only for personal appearances; as I recall, Chet once mentioned that the splice in the tape loop made a clicking sound as it passed the playback head.
bill raymond

Postby albertgen » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:33 am

He used the Echoplex EP-2 on Chester and Lester and in live appearances. He also used a Yamaha E1010 Echo unit for a while in the 70's. In the 80's he liked the Lexicon PCM-42 with the Music Man RD112 50 watt amp. I always liked the Echoplex EP1,EP2, or EP3 the best but you have to keep an eye on them. Keep the heads clean and pre check the startup or the tape can get mangled. Al
albertgen

Postby GaryL » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:08 pm

I think he sounded best with plate reverb on his albums. You could not take that on the road. Nothing sounded better to me.
GaryL

Postby Spadaro Paolo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:19 pm

Grazie Norm, grazie bill, grazie al, grazie gary
Spadaro Paolo

Return to Guitars and Equipment