guitar amp

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

guitar amp

Postby Bob key » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:03 pm

what would be a good amp for a nylon string guitar,a small size one

thanks Bob
Bob key

Re: guitar amp

Postby Norm » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:46 pm

The best answer would be for you to take your guitar to a well stocked guitar store and try some out until you find one that makes your guitar sound like you want it to sound.

If it is some distance to a well stocked store then make an Adventure of it...an Event!

Depends on whether you have a pickup or are using a mic but if you are using a mic, bring that, too.

I haven't delved into what's available in retail amps nowadays so I can't help you beyond that. I do see "Fender Princeton Reverb" being talked up as a nice "living room" amp but there are a lot of amps out there.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby DagerRande » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:37 pm

Bob, I've heard a lot of good things about the Fishman. A couple of my friends love them!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby alexjones » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Bob,
I second the Fishman Loudbox 60 watt amp. It's an amazing little amp that works well to pick and sing through. I use mine at church a lot. My Gretsch CG actually sounds pretty good through it! My Harmony with a Prismatone sounds killer through it. Hope this helps!
Alex
alexjones

Postby Steve Moran » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:21 am

Bob,
My friend Rick Allred taught me how good a Yamaha powered speaker can sound with a nylon string guitar, and especially with the Gibson CEC plastic pickup. The one I have is a Yamaha MSR100 and it sounds really pleasant with a nylon string though it's for a smaller venue.

I have two Roland JC amps which work really well also. The advantage with those is that they sound really good with a Bigsby Semi-Hollow guitar too. The two amps are the JC77 and JC50. I've had the JC77 for a good while but think the JC50 sounds better with the 12" speaker rather than the two 10" speakers in the JC77. You can get a used one of either of these amps at very reasonable prices.

If I'm remembering correctly Ray Cummings uses a JC77 a lot.
Hope this helps. Thanks.
Steve Moran
Steve Moran

Return to Guitars and Equipment