Tuck?

Watch and share videos from youtube

Tuck?

Postby LMark » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:01 am

In this video, is the third soloist Tuck Raisor (sorry if mis-spelled)? I never had the pleasure of hearing Tuck in person, and can't recall if on any other recording. LMark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD38kxjIF5k
LMark

Re: Tuck?

Postby Roger Pratt » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:14 pm

It sure could have been. All I could see was a yellow hat. Tuck always played a Gibson CG.
Roger Pratt

Postby DagerRande » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:32 pm

I also remember Tuck wearing a hat every time I saw him at CAAS.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby LMark » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:38 pm

There is a good shot of the man at about 5:00, wearing yellow. Awful lot of talent sitting in that circle . . . . LMark
LMark

Postby Pickin Palmer » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:20 am

I think the guy in the blue "baul" cap (catching the back/side of his "haed") at 3:17 is Tuck...
Pickin Palmer

Postby LMark » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:22 pm

I was hopin' that you would chime in, Palmer. I stumbled across that one video of Tuck on the OFGC site last night. After viewing that one, that I thought that in this one the fellow in the red, white, and blue cap beginning at 2:19 must be Tuck. He must have been an interesting fellow. I noticed that he leaned over and started studying what the gent to his left was playing. Thanks again Palmer. LMark
LMark

Postby Pickin Palmer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:17 am

He was a very interesting fellow, Mark. He started the first regional finger style guitar club (Kentucky Thumbpickers) right out his house on Belaire Dr/Ave in Louisville. Took Tommy Emmanuel in when he was first getting started and found him a few gigs, I guess. Chris Vickers and I used to drive 3 hours one-way down to one of his weekly "club jams" in his garage on Fridays, every now and then. That's how I know he wasn't "studying" what that other fella was playing - he was checking to see if he was "doin' it right." LOL

Tuck was running the Picker's Club Room at CAAS when I first starting going down 19 years ago. Chris and I took to the Room like ducks to water... With Tuck's assistance - I could tell it was going to be my home for a week every summer for the rest of my life....

P
Pickin Palmer

Postby gmoseley » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:06 pm

LMark -
That guy you mentioned in the yellow shirt is me (somebody just got my first name wrong in the caption) ,,I'm sitting to the left of Eddie and to the right of Paul. I had some hair back then :D don't know where it went! Those were the 'good ole days',,everybody was a heck of a lot younger and in good health.

Gayle Moseley
gmoseley

Postby Pickin Palmer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Pretty good licks there at 1:2x, Gale. Can you remember who the other "healthy" guys were sitting in the circle? The guy to Tuck's left - the guy in the white Fedora hat, the guy in the black shirt, the guy in the orange hat, white shirt???
Pickin Palmer

Postby gmoseley » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:54 am

Hi Palmer, its hard to remember, Gene Frances held that event in the fall and I guess it went on 25 years or so. Word got around about it and players from all over the USA would come to that thing! The great Travis picker, Bobby Barber was always there as was O'Dell and Billy Grammer. Eddie likes to tell the story about the first time Paul showed up at Gene's, unannounced. Somebody said, "that guy who just pulled in looks like Paul Yandell" This was about 1976 or so, right after he started with Chet. I just about fell over and so did Eddie. We met Paul that day and afterwards we didn't know what to think,,he was so quiet and reserved - we didn't think we were going to like him!!! THEN, he took the stage with his Gibson CE - we all shucked our guitars and put 'em in the case! We wanted to hear him play by himself - well he did that alright - he played the whole Solo Flights album, every tune, one after the other,,,never made a bobble. It got so quiet out there in the country you could hear a pin drop! I was in Heaven, frozen to my chair. Finally,I did get to play some with him but I was scared to death but Paul graciously put up with me (bad notes and all). When he left us he handed me a piece of paper with his phone # on it - he said, "you play pretty fair but you need to learn more "altered chords",,,call me sometime and we'll get together and I'll help you". That was the beginning of a wonderful 30+ year friendship. Of course he showed me more guitar than I will ever play but "what a ride" is was! He taught me so much about music theory,,when I pick up a guitar today, I always thank Paul for his great friendship. If Chet ever played a tune that Paul didn't play it was just because Paul didn't want to take the time to learn it!

When this video was made (1990) , Eddie was 35, I was 45 and Paul was 55. I believe Eddie has said that the fellow sitting to his right, playing the Fender is deceased now and I just can't remember who the other guy were - it could be I didn't even know them at the time this video was made,,many, many pickers showed up for this thing over its long lifespan. BTW, I think that's Micah sitting to Tuck's right,,he's not playing in this video.
Gayle
gmoseley

Next

Return to Video Files