Chet Plays San Antonio Rose

Watch and share videos from youtube

Chet Plays San Antonio Rose

Postby bill_h » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:41 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWebDCGzrO4

I know I already posted this a few weeks ago but I just noticed something about it that escaped my attention earlier. That lick that Chet does at the end sounds like a lick that Jimi Hendrix used. I wonder if Chet stole that lick from him. It just never ceases to amaze me how Chet was influenced by so many other players but make everything he played sound like it was his own. And that's not to mention how he was ahead of the pack in so many ways!

How about that beautiful chord melody at the beginning, have you ever heard any better? That's our hero Chet Atkins!!
bill_h

Re: Chet Plays San Antonio Rose

Postby thenorm » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:10 pm

That lick that Chet does at the end sounds like a lick that Jimi Hendrix used. ..."

I have to plead ignorance but I don't hear any Hendrix style lick anywhere in that.
thenorm

Postby tyguy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:15 pm

thenorm wrote:That lick that Chet does at the end sounds like a lick that Jimi Hendrix used. ..."

I have to plead ignorance but I don't hear any Hendrix style lick anywhere in that.

Wow!!!I would never have gotten the Hendrix relationship either.This lick has been used for decades but I know where Norm got the relationship now.Came to me in a" flash"(don't know why).Jimi used it in The Wind Cries Mary.Fascinating as I never related it to anything.Show's us how everybody hears and relates differently.This experience(pardon the pun)shows me we all have to try and get along the best we can. The Best Ty M.
tyguy

Postby tyguy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:26 pm

tyguy wrote:
thenorm wrote:That lick that Chet does at the end sounds like a lick that Jimi Hendrix used. ..."

Wow!!!I would never have gotten the Hendrix relationship either.This lick(soundfs like G7 Ab7 A7)has been used for decades but I know where Norm got the relationship now.Came to me in a" flash"(don't know why).Jimi used it in The Wind Cries Mary.Fascinating as I never related it to anything.Show's us how everybody hears and relates differently.This experience(pardon the pun)shows me we all have to try and get along the best we can. The Best Ty M.

Cool thing about this recording is that theres a sub-harmonic(I hope)C#(3rd of A chord)that is louder,than the root bass note on the last chord.
tyguy

Postby thenorm » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:23 am

I know where Norm got the relationship now....'

I didn't "get the relationship"

That was my point. I'm not a big Hendrix fan but I didn't hear anything in Chet's sendup that sounded remotely like Hendrix
thenorm

Postby tyguy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:24 pm

thenorm wrote:I know where Norm got the relationship now....'

I didn't "get the relationship"

That was my point. I'm not a big Hendrix fan but I didn't hear anything in Chet's sendup that sounded remotely like Hendrix
Sorry,Norm should have posted to Bill H..I can blame it on eld.Sorry! The best, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby bill_h » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:11 pm

Thanks Ty! I meant to respond to Norm's post but for the life of me couldn't remember the tune that Hendrix used that lick in. Chet doesn't play it just like Hendrix but it sounds like the same lick to me. I don't know for a fact that Chet discovered that lick because he heard Hendrix do it but it wouldn't surprise me either. I would think Chet was always aware of what was going on around him musically!
bill_h

Postby tyguy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:14 pm

bill_h wrote:Thanks Ty! I meant to respond to Norm's post but for the life of me couldn't remember the tune that Hendrix used that lick in. Chet doesn't play it just like Hendrix but it sounds like the same lick to me. I don't know for a fact that Chet discovered that lick because he heard Hendrix do it but it wouldn't surprise me either. I would think Chet was always aware of what was going on around him musically!

Jimi played that lick with a hammer on to 3rds in the bass.Still sounds a lot alike though.I didn't care for Jimi's soloing but he excelled at those little chord snippets,that he learned on the R&B circuit.Less is more most of the time. The Best, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby bill_h » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:09 pm

I've never listened to that much Hendrix even though I highly respect him. I probably should listen to to him more but I'm more into Alan Holdsworth. ( Frank Zappa said the modern guitar begins with Jimi Hendrix and ends with Alan Holdsworth.) Of course I need to keep listening to Chet, Merle, Jerry, and Odell.( If only there was more Odell to listen to !!!!!! )
bill_h

Postby tyguy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:42 pm

bill_h wrote:I've never listened to that much Hendrix even though I highly respect him. I probably should listen to to him more but I'm more into Alan Holdsworth. ( Frank Zappa said the modern guitar begins with Jimi Hendrix and ends with Alan Holdsworth.) Of course I need to keep listening to Chet, Merle, Jerry, and Odell.( If only there was more Odell to listen to !!!!!! )

I never listened to much Hendrix either and never played any but i respect his innovation.He played at a bad time musically I think,in the psychedelic era. The best Ty M.
tyguy

Next

Return to Video Files