Watch and share videos from youtube

Chet - Tonight Show 1974 "Both Sides Now"

Postby PhilHunt » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:51 pm

You just can't "Out Chet" Chet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Ei6mIaTTA
PhilHunt

Re: Chet - Tonight Show 1974 "Both Sides Now"

Postby John Knowles » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:58 am

Beautiful! I can really see Chet's musical mind at work... his relaxed concentration... the way he prepares each move. And there's the Happy Again move... at 1:02. Thanks, Phil.
John Knowles

Postby mattburnside » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:17 am

This is just fantastic. Thanks. I've had many questions in my head about how Chet played a couple of passages on this tune. One of my all-time favorites of his.
mattburnside

Postby Richard Hudson » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:01 pm

Chet's notes were always so clear and distinct, and his timing was remarkable - always. I had to smile at about 2:00, wondering if that was a mistake, or intentional. If it was a(n intentional) mistake, he sure covered it up good. Come to think of it, didn't he say "...all mistakes are intentional?"
Richard Hudson

Postby mattburnside » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:17 pm

Jack Baker wrote:Hi Matt,
I remember tabbing out this great arrangement of the Joni Mitchell tune as played by Chet Atkins on the "Solid Gold 69" LP in about 1990. I even put in Chet's foot tapping in the recording. I don't think the Chetboard was even here back then or I just didn't know about it maybe..Jack Baker p.s. the midi is on my website.

Hey Jack! Loved your tabs while they were up. Yeah, I learned quite a bit from your version; when he does that move from the Bm - C was one of the spots where I had questions. Your version and the Guitar For All Seasons version had him going to the 5th position on the C, which didn't sound right except for when he goes up to that high A melody note. I thought had to be staying down in the 2nd position due to the timbre. Turns out everybody was right! He goes up to 5th position to grab the high A and stays down low the rest of the time.

Thanks for all the work you've done, and condolences for whatever made you take the tabs down.
mattburnside

Postby kwarren » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:28 pm

Hello jack,
I know what you mean about people taking tabs from whatever site and taking credit for all the work. I had posted a number of Christmas arrangements (TablEdit format) several years back and found one re-done note-for-note in Power Tab with someone else’s name as the arranger. I stopped posting after that. A lot of hard work goes into both the arranging and the notating and it sure does sting to have someone else take the credit for your hard work.
Back to “Both Sides Now.” Somewhere out there is a video of Chet performing this piece (the longer version) on the Merv Griffin show back in the early 70s. I keep hoping that it will one day appear on YouTube.
Kirk Warren
kwarren

Postby Fred » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:24 am

I know this is an old thread.... finding this tune to be a nice daily meditation. The invisible lick at 1:39, 1: 40 eludes me....think when he grabs the D7...anyone?
Fred

Postby DagerRande » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:14 am

Fred, it sounds to me like a D major. without the 1st string and over an F# bass (6th string on 2nd fret).
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Fred » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:10 pm

DagerRande wrote:Fred, it sounds to me like a D major. without the 1st string and over an F# bass (6th string on 2nd fret).

Thanks Roger. I think you're right, easier to get the pull off that way than the D he plays normally at that point. He has 6th string tuned to D and A string tuned to G
Fred

Return to Video Files