Magic Bass invention by Chet

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Magic Bass invention by Chet

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:00 am

Steven King once had a device that allowed him to get a bass sound while he was playing. I don't know if it was like Chet's Octo bass and Tommy Crook's guitar or not. You can see in this video that he has a pickup between the neck and bridge pickup. It is not obvious until he moves his hand. I can't detect the bass string sound in this video, but I know I have heard one of his performances that did. I don't remember if it was using actual bass strings or a device that processed the sound and produced bass string sounds. He used to have a place on his web site where he spoke about this, but I don't see it any more. He has a contact link on his web site and I guess he would respond if he was asked about the bass device. Here is a link to a video of his guitar with the "thing" on it. I saw him many times at the C.A.A.S. and at a couple of Taylor Guitar seminars in the Norfolk Va. area and enjoyed his playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cpq2nkR_bk

I hope this is informative.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby BillB » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:23 am

Hey Rande,

I'm the Bill Bailey that you mentioned. I usually put that at the end of my posts, but I guess I forgot to do that. So yes, you have met me on several occasions, and I hope to hang out with you again at CAAS in the future.

Bill Bailey
BillB

Postby DagerRande » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:32 pm

Thanks, Steve. I'll look into those!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby DagerRande » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:34 pm

Sorry, Bill. It was Bill Raymond who posted about this a few posts ago and I didn't realize that a different Bill "came in". Yes, I'd enjoy getting with again too, Bill! How is your Maton doing? I still don't own a steel string acoustic!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby BillB » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:51 am

Hey Rande,
I forgot that you were there at CAAS with me when I was trying out my Maton TE. I think I even had you play it and another Maton that I was looking at, and we both thought it was the better of the two. To be honest, I don't play it very much these days, but that isn't because of the guitar itself. My fingernails are not as tough as they were a few years ago, and after I switched out the factory pickup on my Takamine classical with a Barbera (like Kirk Sand's guitars come with now), it's been my main guitar and I play it regularly with the worship band at church. Now, having said that, I may be playing the Maton for at least one worship session soon. It's past time to replace the nylon strings, and it always seems to take over a week for me to get them stretched in. I may have to replace the battery and tweak the neck, but I know it will do just fine. It will be interesting to see how my fingernails hold up to the steel strings.

Anyway, you've been in my prayers recently after hearing about your daughter's passing. I'm sure that you are still working through that, and I hope you are finding peace in the memories that you have.

Bill Bailey
BillB

Postby DagerRande » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:37 pm

Bill, there was a time that you thanked me for helping you to select that Maton and I remember feeling surprised because I questioned my feeling deserving of thanks, but I'm sure that my connection with it has faded over time.
What I remember about it was the low action without buzzing. I've always thought that if I ever owned a steel string guitar, that a Maton exactly like yours would be the one!

I also have nail issues. I went for 18 years with acrylics and didn't like how thick and inflexible they were and I went for 2 years without them. However in January of this year, two of my nails broke just before a performance, so I went back to my little Vietnamese lady, who had wondered what happened to me, and I started up with them again. Just as I was getting ready to go back to her, everything was shut down due to Covid-19, and now I'm on my own! I've tried false self-applied nails and they often come off and have to be reapplied. The nail issue is my biggest hangup and deterrent to playing songs well. Catching on the strings while playing is VERY distracting!

Thanks for remembering my daughter. I'm adjusting to a world without her. She would have been 41 this Thursday. Her husband of course is devastated. They were married only 8 years.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby BillB » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:21 am

Rande,
As far as the Maton choice, I was afraid that I was swayed by the more expensive guitar because it was the Tommy Emmanuel model. It seemed like it was a little better than the less expensive model. They both had the same pickup, which I definitely wanted, but I wanted someone else to play them to confirm what I was thinking. As I remember, you played them without realizing one of them was the TE model, and it was the one that you picked as well. So, I didn't mind paying the extra amount for the better instrument. I also made them an offer on the last day that they accepted.

Thanks again for your help!

Bill Bailey
BillB

Postby DagerRande » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:24 am

Bill, you are correct that I never knew that the one I preferred, and that you purchased, was the T.E. model. I'm actually surprised that the difference was the superior playability. Often times, just the mere fact that a celebrity's name is associated with a particular model of a product, is enough to "justify" the higher price. In this case, it was actually the higher quality of the guitar itself! The way my mind works is that even if the less expensive one had been the T.E. signature model, I would still have chosen the more expensive one because I felt that it played better! Playability is always my top priority, even if I have to say no to the "Bill Bailey model"! :lol:
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment