1989 Gibson Country Gentlemen Problem

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

1989 Gibson Country Gentlemen Problem

Postby Donny Barton » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Need some help with owners of this model. I notice a space between the neck and body just forward of the neck pickup about the space of a nickel about 1.5 inches forward. Can you owners give some advice. Haven't played this guitar in a while. Just noticed it. Can some of you owners with this model check for me, is this normal. Thanks
Donny Barton

Re: 1989 Gibson Country Gentlemen Problem

Postby DickThomas » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:01 pm

I purchased mine in November, 1986. Where the fingerboard almost meets the pickup, there is about an inch and a half where the fingerboard is cantilevered above the body of the guitar, just about the thickness of a nickel as you describe it. It was built that way, as you will see it on many other archtop guitars. I think the original idea on hollowbody guitars was to minimize interference with free vibration of the top of the guitar. As I understand it, the prototypes for the Gibson Country Gentleman were developed from the ES350T which, as a thin hollow body guitar without the center block, had the raised fingerboard extension. Others more knowledgable than I am may be able to explain how it makes a sonic difference on the CG with its solid center block. My ES175 has as more pronounced space; my 355 does not have a space; my Gretsches have the cantilever. At any rate, assuming your 1989 CG is like my 1986 CG, there is no problem, and your instrument is not coming apart. Relax and enjoy it.

Dick
DickThomas

Postby Donny Barton » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:51 pm

Thanks for the info Dick Thomas
Donny Barton

Postby Vidar Lund » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:40 pm

I own a Gretsch 6130 Roundup KPW built with the same neck distance from the top. It is built like that just like yours, and if there are no cracks or other damage like a bent fretboard present there`s no danger. Like Dick says, it´s made to let the sounding board (top) vibrate freely to produce the best sound possible. My Roundup, however, is not a hollow body guitar but a solid body, but it may have an effect on the instrument anyway.
Vidar Lund

Return to Guitars and Equipment