Amplifying live my Del Vecchio

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Amplifying live my Del Vecchio

Postby Spadaro Paolo » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:56 am

The use of a microphone in front of my Del Vecchio might be a good solution to play live ???
In the videos, Chet, used a live microphone ....
If so, which one do you recommend microphone ???
Also playing together with a second guitar and a drum, there are feedback problems, how to avoid this?
Grazie, Paolo.
Spadaro Paolo

Re: Amplifying live my Del Vecchio

Postby Norm » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:41 am

For me, playing my Dobro in a bar situation I found that a condenser microphone worked best. They aren't good for vocals but can be very directional (relatively narrow "hot" area)

I cannot recommend a brand because I haven't seen what's out there but I do know first you get a hot condenser mic then you practice learning to use it in a group situation. I have a pretty good one that runs on a AA battery that is no longer made. A friend of mine in sound reenforcement loaned me a professional version, very small head, that was really hot

But, again, you need to practice with it, experiment with how close you set it, etc.

Good luck

btw...if the drums and other guitar are drowning you out they need to pay attention to their function rather than think the music is all about them

Chet said people listened better if you didn't play too loud.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Spadaro Paolo » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:59 pm

Thank you so much Norm, your answers are always helpful.

Afternoon after reading your message, I visited my musical instrument store and took 3 condenser microphones, a pair of SAMSON C02 narrow aperture and SAMSON C03 large diaphragm.

Put in the right configuration in front of my Del Vecchio and adding a little reverb made me run a lot of smiles.

REALLY sound I was looking for, wonderful !!!!!

also I played with a monitor speaker placed behind me .....

I hope not to have feedback problems when I'll play along with my friends.

Thanks again Norm, (the phrase spoken by Chet Atkins, was often repeated by my late master)

PAOLO.
Spadaro Paolo

Postby Norm » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:29 pm

I have an old instrument, not as loud as the fancy high-dollar dobros made today but during my playing days I was never tempted to install a pickup of any kind. You need to practice with a microphone to get the best, least feedback position you can. I used mine on a mic stand and I was standing up so I had a little control over the dynamics

After a while you learn where the "red line" (where the feedback starts) but, again, you need to practice.

If your mic is battery powered be SURE you always carry spares. When a battery fades on a mic it is pretty quick.

again, good luck. Waiting for videos
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Return to Guitars and Equipment