Pickup height adjustment

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Pickup height adjustment

Postby Norm » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:17 am

OOwl wrote:So Norm, if I understand correctly from your earlier post, you were saying that Chet's bridge pickup would have actually been louder if you switched to it w/ all volumes maxed. So he backed off the bridge pickup volume so that it equaled that of the neck pickup when switching from one to the other. Is that right?

If so, I imagine part of the "secret weapon" is that lowering the bridge pickup's volume would also soften it's tone a bit. One will notice generally treble loss as the volume knob is rolled down towards zero, unless there's a capacitor on the pot to retain the highs.

...of course, one set like that then he generally left it in the middle position.

Please disregard this if it is incorrect. I'm just trying to clarify. I guess there will be some speculation regardless.

That's pretty much it. But I repeat... the ideal situation is to have both pickups at the same volume if you switch from one to the other when running them full out. If you do this on the 6122-59 the treble pickup will be a little loud so you find the 'sweet spot' on your own guitar of how much to back off to get that perfect balance.

When you balance the pickup volumes as I describe and switch to the middle position on the guitar and run both pickups at once your notes have the “more note” fullness of the Super Tron mixed with the highs of that beefed bridge pickup, That gives the notes unusual definition and clarity that no other guitar has.

I know this because I have a single cut CG. I scored a Super Tron for it in the late seventies. A year or so ago I bought one of the TV Jones 8K Filter Trons and boy, Howdy, my already good sounding guitar took on a whole new persona.

I hope that clarifies my line of thinking. Of course it is speculation. Chet and Paul are both gone now so we have no one to ask "for sure."
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Pickup height adjustment

Postby Michaeloi » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:28 pm

I need help here. I just wanna ask what is the standard or the manufacturer's setting of pickup height of washburn x10 electric guitar?
Michaeloi

Re: Pickup height adjustment

Postby OOwl » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:38 pm

I have no idea. email washburn
OOwl

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment