Thumb wheels on CGP

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Thumb wheels on CGP

Postby angelo oreilly » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi all,
Does anyone know what thread size the bridge studs on the Gretsch CGP is? I want to try out a tune-amatic bridge on my guitar but the the thumb wheels are to big, and need to change them.
Cheers
angelo oreilly

Re: Thumb wheels on CGP

Postby thenorm » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 pm

Can't you just buy the whole assembly...bridge, base and wheels?

That way you know it'll work and you'll have the old assembly, complete, stashed away, in case you want to go back. Put it in a Ziploc plastic bag.

Whatever kind of bridge any of you have (or get) it's a good idea to examine how the base fits the top of the guitar. Sometimes it's a good idea to take some emery paper and put it on the top of the guitar, grit side UP, and move the base back and forth over the grit. The idea is you want the base of the bridge to conform to the top of the guitar. More sustain and better tone if you do this....
thenorm

Re: Thumb wheels on CGP

Postby Pvee » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:35 pm

Recently installed this one on my old Gibson ES225-T.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_ta ... ad=reviews
The thin piece of wood that runs across betwen the two ends is thin enough and flexible enough to allow the end pieces (feet) to settle in on most archtop angles.

Only issue I had was, it was about 1/16th's too tall for my application so I sanded off a little from each end and it worked fine.
Pvee

Return to Guitars and Equipment