Sonny Thomas Has Passed Away

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Sonny Thomas Has Passed Away

Postby PhilHunt » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:04 pm

It is with sadness that we heard the terrible news today that Sonny Thomas has passed away. He was a great guitar repair guy and a wealth of knowledge of fingerstyle guitar and was admired by many folks in the CAAS community. Sonny played for Leroy Van Dyke. He will be sadly missed. When I heard the news today I was devastated. Some of the most happiest times Eddie and I had were going up to Sonny's room and hearing him pick out a great tune and telling some of the most hilarious jokes you have ever heard. He would tell a joke and then give you that stone face look afterwards, if only we had the video camera then. Eddie and I would always say that we wanted to get James Kennedy (Sam's dad) together because they had the same type of humor and were exactly the same. Every time I would go to CAAS I would ask...."is Sonny here?" Frankly, going up to Sonny's room was one of the highlights of CAAS. Paul Yandell thought a lot of Sonny and respected his knowledge of the guitar and would perform with him on stage at CAAS (Which I am fortunate to have video footage of and will put on youtube for everyone to enjoy). Our condolences go out to his family and close friends. He will be greatly missed.
Last edited by PhilHunt on Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilHunt

Re: Sonny Thomas Has Passed Away

Postby PhilHunt » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:07 pm

Eddie & Sonny
Attachments
4E5909B6-2B97-4725-B804-3046FBED2DDD.jpeg
PhilHunt

Postby Eddie Estes » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:13 pm

Phil said everything I would have said. He is exactly right. Sonny was a great guy.
Prayers for his family.
Eddie Estes

Postby Roger Pratt » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:29 pm

I never had the pleasure of meeting Sonny although I heard Paul speak of him many times. My condolences to his family.
Roger Pratt

Postby gmoseley » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:33 am

I was so sad when Micah called me with the news. Sonny was a super nice guy, great player, great set-up man. Paul always said "Sonny is the best". His fret work was second to none and he could play Jerry's most difficult tunes flawlessly. He will certainly be missed! RIP ole friend. . . . . catch 'ya later on down the road.

Gayle
gmoseley

Return to Announcement and News