CAAS 2019

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

CAAS 2019

Postby Steve Sanders » Mon May 27, 2019 1:48 pm

Haven't heard or seen a lot about the CAAS 2019 convention lately and it is not that far away. Are they gonna have one? Seems like there is a lot more "Chet-chat" about upcoming events like that! Jis wunderin'!!!!
Steve Sanders

Re: CAAS 2019

Postby DagerRande » Mon May 27, 2019 2:20 pm

Steve, it has been mentioned a time or two. It's July 10 - 12. I can tell you that Richard Smith will be in China during that time, which disappoints me but I'm happy for him! Also, Phil Hunt announced that he won't be there either. I know nothing about the itinerary. Have I met you there before?
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Steve Sanders » Mon May 27, 2019 6:41 pm

Naw Rande, I have never even been to one of the CAAS Conventions. I should have gone to the earlier ones. From what I gather the longer they went on the further it all drifted away from pure Chet. Now I know Chet liked all kinds of music and artists but I believe something like this that is a tribute ought to stay VERY close to home. If you want gyspy, jazz, or ju-ju music then start your own convention! There is a minute possibility that I'm gittin' old and cranky!! Don't tell nobody!! Thanks, Steve
Steve Sanders

Postby DagerRande » Tue May 28, 2019 10:54 am

Steve, you're right about the drifting away from "pure Chet" but he somehow seems to get the credit for inspiring so many of them. Many hadn't even been born yet when we lost him on 6-30-01. The group of us who had interacted with him personally or had at least seen him in concert is getting smaller and smaller.

It seems strange to run into so many who've never seen him and had only heard his albums or had only recently been made aware of him.

I missed a few years from right before his death until a few years afterward, but otherwise, I've attended since 1991.

I had to shift my thinking and purpose for attending. I've made friends there and it's my opportunity to reconnect with them.

I practice my heart out all year round and live in relative isolation among people who don't really care one way or another about anything more than basic guitar playing. A very little bit of what I do goes a long way around here. It's always nice to be around those who are at a high level of performance and understand what's going on!

You should come and meet some of us! You might find pockets of guys sitting around and playing exactly what you're looking for! There are a lot of informal gatherings!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby PhilHunt » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:22 pm

CAAS is such a great event and anyone who has never been should go. There is a lot of behind the scenes work that goes on to make the whole thing possible and Mark & Carol Pritcher and the rest of the staff do so much to make it happen.
I'm going to miss seeing guys like Rande and Audie and many others....I'll be taking family on trips this summer so I can't make it. And I'm preparing to sell my house.
PhilHunt

Postby rkk2786 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:49 pm

I know FB is a big deal, I wish we could all get this form back to where it needs to be with great content and fellowship!
I wish all of you could have seen our friend Eddie Estes play his butt off this weekend, he won the Traditional, so proud of him for his first time doing this!
Micah
rkk2786

Postby DagerRande » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:05 pm

I agree with you, Micah! I too wish this board could be like it used to be. I think there are many members here now that never got to experience that.

I also read about Eddie. I'm not sure what the contest was or what he played or what he won for his second place finish?
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby LMark » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:03 pm

Perhaps some video will appear on JB's site?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCObrHr ... qtA/videos

LMark
LMark

Postby LMark » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:02 pm

Eddie, a very belated "congratulations"! Links are on Ron Haft's Youtube page, but I suppose most folk know that already. Bob Wiese sent them to me just today: https://www.youtube.com/user/ronhaft/videos LMark
LMark

Postby Steve Sanders » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:05 am

THANKS! Ron for all the nice videos! And THANKS also to Eddie for being one of the very few playing an e-lectric geetar!!! Hey, where is all them e-lectric Gretsch guitars we all pine away for???!!! I ain't seen that many flat-tops since the weekend marathon of "Gomer Pyle USMC" reruns!!! Where'd they go? Bumfuzzled in Oklahoma! Steve
Steve Sanders

Next

Return to Announcement and News