CASS Attendance

Share videos and photos from the 2011 CAAS convention here.

Re: CASS Attendance

Postby Roger Pratt » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:39 pm

Looking forward to seeing you also Rick!
Roger Pratt

Postby Eddie Estes » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:34 pm

I am going to be there for 2014. We are at the Sheraton this year. My wife and daughter are coming this year.
So anyone at the Sheraton from Sun to Sun let me know.

Eddie
Last edited by Eddie Estes on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie Estes

Postby Eddie Estes » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:42 pm

The convention has changed. The first time I went was in 1986. Man what I wouldn't give for audio of Chet's concert that year. Not only for audio of Chet but my grandmother went with me that year. She passed in 2006. I have been hoping that someone would have some pics from that year that might have had her in a shot. When you lose someone you want anything that has them in a picture.

The convention that year was two days. That was a special time.

But I'll always be thankful for the CAAS not just for Chet but for the friendship I made with Paul Yandell and his family and for all the others there that are like family.

I really look forward to this year. Phil and I got to play Sat night the last time we were there. But even if I never got to play on any stage there some of the best times of my life at CAAS.

By the way I have a new Facebook page. Just search for my name. If you want to friend request me.
Eddie Estes
Eddie Estes

Postby John Trahan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:12 pm

My first CAAS was in 2012. My wife & I are going to be there again this year, Lord willing. I never got the chance to meet or see Chet or Paul or Jerry, but I'm sure glad CAAS continues. Through those that knew and worked with these guys we at least have the legacy in some form continuing. It was a privilege for me to meet Paul's son, Micah & Craig Dobbins, Tommy Emmanuel, Nokie Edwards, Thom Bresh, Bobby Gibson, Richard Kiser and many others. I'm looking forward to being there this year. I realize I can't compare my experience to those who were able to attend in the "good ol' days" but I'm thankful for those who carry on this great tradition of honoring Chet and those who love his music. Hope to see ya'll there and put some more faces with the names here on the board.
John Trahan

Postby DagerRande » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:29 am

John, I'm not sure if I met you even though I've seen your name here often. I intend to be there also and I look forward to meeting you. Take Care.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby PhilHunt » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:03 pm

I won't be making it to CAAS this year once again. It's really hard when you have two young children (age5 & age2).....and a day job to boot. I guess what some folks don't understand is the "great pickers" at CAAS are either childless, have children grown up, are single, live at home with their parents,..... or have one understanding wife who appreciates their passion for guitar playing. Unfortunately, I don't fall into any of these categories. The "bigtime pickers" at CAAS are "bigtime" because THAT'S WHAT THEY DO. They pretty much play guitar and nothing else. Guitar is their life. No disrespect to Tommy Emmanuel or for that matter anyone else (and lord I apologize ahead of time for saying this....but it's the truth)......, but.......if I played over 300 dates a year and had no responsibilities as a husband or a father....HELL YEAH I'D BE THAT GOOD!! This is a fact and the gospel truth and if I'm wrong then someone tell me I'm wrong....but it's the truth. Talent is one thing.....but actually having time to practice and display that talent is another. You gotta know how to balance your life and know what takes priority. For me.....it's family first....guitar second. I hate to say....but that's how it is......
PhilHunt

Postby PhilHunt » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:16 pm

Once again....I mean no disrespect to anyone. But when folks "Ooooo and Ahhhhh" at the performers at CAAS, those performers really deserve it. They have slaved their lives over the guitar, just like Chet.....the guitar was his life. And, you really gotta give it to Leona because you could really tell she loved Chet and appreciated the work and labor of love he put into his music and the instrument. I appreciate other pickers at CAAS who have dedicated their lives to the guitar like Tommy and Richard and many others. However, when it comes to me personally, I love playing guitar.....don't get me wrong.....but at this point in my life my family comes first. A person has to be balanced. Sadly, I've seen circumstances of some pickers where they couldn't balance it at all. I had a buddy of mine in Nashville tell me a story of how when he was living in the same apartment building as Lenny that Lenny would play for hours until he would fall asleep from exhaustion. Now, I've never been that obsessed with playing but it just gives you an idea as to how Lenny got as good as he did. Sure, we all "ahhhhh and Oooooo" at Lenny's playing, even I do, and perhaps wonder how did he get that good. The answer? Dedicated. The man played every waking moment of his life.
PhilHunt

Postby Bob key » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:41 am

Hi Phil, I just got home from Johns Hopkins cancer hospital after 6 chemo and 30 radiation treatments.I got on my favorite website the Chetboard and read the opinions about the survival of the CAAS and your assessment of great players.now im not here to criticize or say your right or wrong its only my opinion but I think your forgetting one thing all the people you site where child prodigies,why Richard,lenny,tommy and who knows how many more mastered the guitar as children Im sure you read what these people did a kids,yes a lot of practice makes you better at anything you wont to g et better at but never to the level of these people.and as far as CAAS that will live on because of Chet he was and still is an inspiration to playes across this world as I see it we don't celebrate guitar players we honor and cherish the life Chester B Atkins,and as far as to much gypsy or to much of anymusic is wrong Chet loved and incouraged all kinds of music. just imagine when Jerry came along if he said that's different forget it or Lenny this stuff was all different from that great Chet sound we all love.well I just ran out of energy back to the couch.an I hope someday I will have enough energy to play a Chet tune or Merle tune again.

Thanks good luck to all Bob
Bob key

Postby DagerRande » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:41 am

Phil, I agree with you. However, I've also known people who were super dedicated and put huge amounts of time into practice and hit a plateau very early because they didn't have enough potential to go very far in building their skills. Some others are naturally gifted and can become masters with much less practice time. There is physical talent and then listening and deciphering talent. I have a lot more of the second one than I do the first. From what I've seen and known of you, I agree with you that you could also be as good as the top guys if you were to do nothing else in life but play the guitar. I believe I also could be but I'm very aware of those who badly want to but probably couldn't make it no matter how much time they put in.

I'm reminded of aspiring inner city ghetto kids who devote all of their free time to becoming professional basketball players and all of the disappointment that comes when the majority of them never make it and and realize that they've put in all of that time that later appears to have been wasted.

It's ironic but you have to put in the hard work to make it but yet you never know until you've hit an immovable brick wall that you've only been spinning your wheels. All of the hard work and effort is a gamble.

It all comes down to doing it anyway because you love it and then if anything becomes of it, that's a bonus!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Carl Martin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:49 am

Phil I really appreciate your comments about priorities and playing. This is my 80th birthday today and i remember saying that if I could spend 5 or 6 hours a day, I could play as well as anyone. Other things became more important as I aged with 6 children, a job and many other diversions. I go to CAAS to see and visit with old friends, enjoy the pickin', and amaze myself with the small amount of sleep it takes to survive. I attended the second CAAS and have missed only three or four since that time. I don't spend much time in the big room unless a friend is playing. For me, the real action is in the halls and small rooms and the lobby. I hear people playing for the pure joy of making music and I don't hear someone say "You did that wrong, or Chet played that in a different key". My theory is that if you don't really like what you are hearing, move to another place. I always have a great time and hope to attend many more. Thanks. Carl...
Carl Martin

PreviousNext

Return to CAAS 2011