Chet's Songs that were Hard for you to Learn?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Chet's Songs that were Hard for you to Learn?

Postby Doug Working » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:59 am

DagerRande wrote:Doug, fortunately there is a huge amount of material to learn that doesn't require the need for a huge stretch!

I agree.

But some of the ones I absolutely love involve impossible stretches. And i’m greedy. I got to learn them all.
Doug Working

Postby emjaybee94 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:07 pm

Interesting question. I've struggled with a lot of Chet's tunes over the years, but the one that gave me the most problem and probably the most satisfaction as well, was learning to play "Country Champagne" from the Yestergroovin' LP. I had a vague idea how to play a few harmonic cascades, but nothing quite like the ones in this tune. I think I spent a good 6 months working out the chord forms. I've only ever played it in public once. That was when John Knowles came over to the UK in 1982 to give us a two day seminar ..... a very enjoyable weekend.

Regards
Mike
emjaybee94

Postby Douglas » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:36 am

Speaking of Cascade stretches I found it difficult at first, but practice practice and even more practice you can eventually get it. On the other hand, one of my hero’s, Wendell Ferguson takes a slightly different approach:

https://youtu.be/s_2UonJmkbc
Douglas

Previous

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins