Oh By Jingo Oh By Gee. How many?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Oh By Jingo Oh By Gee. How many?

Postby Doug Working » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:28 pm

I am wondering how many versions of this tune Chet recorded?

I was aware of one version since I was a boy, but today, as I was using SIRI search, I said, “Hey Siri! Play me some Chet Atkins. And she played a version of the tune that I had never heard. So I’m thinking “That’s two. I wonder how many more are out there?

That’s the thing about Chet. He was incredibly prolific! And productive!

For instance, take Black Mountain Rag. He recorded several versions on that tune, to the point where I have lost track. Could be up to four or five by now.

But as for Oh by Jingo. Anybody know how many he did on that one?
Doug Working

Re: Oh By Jingo Oh By Gee. How many?

Postby rhirvine » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:11 pm

I was only aware of the one version on "Stringin' Along With Chet Atkins" album. BTW I wonder how many of us learned to play that version? It was my first big breakthrough on playing Chet Atkin's style.

best regards,
Rich Irvine
rhirvine

Postby Doug Working » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:26 pm

Yup! There is DEFINITELY a second version!

Siri found it for me.

If it turns up again, i’ll see if I can grab the link.
Doug Working

Postby headgremlin » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:14 pm

I could be wrong but I heard that the 10" LP of "Stringin' Along With Chet" had a recording of him on possibly his d"Angelico guitar and the 12" LPM-1236 issue was recorded on the Gretsch guitar, thus 2 recordings.

Jere
headgremlin

Postby Hendrik » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:18 pm

headgremlin wrote:I could be wrong but I heard that the 10" LP of "Stringin' Along With Chet" had a recording of him on possibly his d"Angelico guitar and the 12" LPM-1236 issue was recorded on the Gretsch guitar, thus 2 recordings.

Jere

Jere's right. In 1956 Chet rerecorded all the 8 songs (plus 4 additional songs) from the Stringin' Along 10" LP from 1953 on a Gretsch. The 10" LP was recorded on his D'Angelico Excel. Chet played Oh By Jingo! at least three times on the Grand Ole Opry; on December 13th 1952, July 7th 1957 and August 30th 1958.
Hendrik

Postby Doug Working » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:06 pm

Do you know if those opry recordings were released?
Doug Working

Postby Sholmst » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:47 pm

When I first saw a sessionography of Chet it listed Jerry Byrd among the players. He was nowhere to be found on the album version. I was very confused!

Then I heard the earlier version on an RCA anthology and things cleared up. I didn't know why it was rerecorded until now. I guess after he got his signature Gretsch he thought his records should feature it.The same reason he wouldn't play his Gretsch after his Gibson endorsement. Black Mountain Rag is another one with a D'Angelico version and a Gretsch version. Of course that ended up on gut string.
Scott R. Holmstrom
Sholmst

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins