Cascade tab?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Cascade tab?

Postby rob » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:02 am

There seems to be a few out there, anyone suggest one thats accurate or a book worth buying with the arrangement in?
Regards
Rob(uk)
rob

Re: Cascade tab?

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:59 am

Rob, go to johnknowles.com/quarterly.htm. John Knowles published the Finger style quarterly for many years (and issues). That song is in #35 I think. I subscribed for many years until my fingers stopped working and enjoyed trying to learn great songs and arrangements...lessons, too. There are many issues and songs to choose from. I think he also did a Jerry Reed book with that song in it, too. I think I saw one of those at Amazon once upon a time. Have fun.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby AngusH » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:11 am

Hi both - we may be talking about two different Cascade(s) here...

There's Cascade with the all but impossible stretch (although there is a clever work-around somewhere on Youtube):

...but there's also The Cascades by Scott Joplin which features on Chet's Solo Sessions album (and is transcribed in the associated book).

I believe the original arrangement for guitar for the Joplin piece was by John Knowles - it's on his Sittin' Back Pickin' album (and in the accompanying book if you can find it): https://www.discogs.com/master/1547872- ... ack-Pickin

The latter is, in my experience, the easier of the two to play by quite some distance...

There - hope I haven't unnecessarily scattered the pigeons with some unhelpfully introduced cats... :lol:

Hope you find the one you want, and good luck with it.

Angus
AngusH

Postby rob » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:26 am

It is the version with the long stretch, i picked up chet atkins contemporary styles book second hand on ebay and it has this song in it....
Thanks
Rob(uk)
rob

Postby AngusH » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:30 am

Hi Rob - I knew I had it somewhere, but I'd forgotten that was the book it was in...

I also didn't realise it was so long ago, but Art Sims shared his work-around for the difficult stretch during a thread back in 2015.

Took me a while to find it, and Art has very kindly made his video public again:

Good luck with it - I'll be interested to hear how you get on, and if you manage the stretch without artificial aids :lol:

Happy pickin'

Angus
AngusH

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins