Pickup height adjustment

Need help? Don't know how to embed youtube videos? Can't listen to mp3's on the forum? Problems browsing the Chetboard? Find the solution here!

Pickup height adjustment

Postby Tom Workman » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi, fellow pickers. Last November I posted concerning the "boomy" sound I was getting on my 6122-59 Nashville Classic from the bass strings and no one else who replied seemed to be experiencing this. Well, when I was playing it today I (finally) noticed that the base side of the bar/neck pickup was considerably higher than the treble side and I figured I would try lowering it. It seems to be tightened all the way down so I was wondering are there shims(s) under it that could be removed (before I go taking it apart). It's time for a string-change so I figured now would be a good time to deal with it. Any guidance/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks... regards, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Re: Pickup height adjustment

Postby Tom Workman » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:53 pm

...well, I searched the archives of the CB and found the answer to my question which renders my initial query moot. As it turns out, it appears that there is indeed a shim that I could remove to lower the bass side of the pickup a little which I think will fix my problem. - Regards, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Postby Vidar Lund » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi.
Have you tried lighter bass strings?
Vidar Lund

Postby Tom Workman » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:26 pm

Vidar, I had considered lighter gauge bass strings but, when I finally realized how close the pickup is to the bass side I feel confident that lowering the pickup on that side will do the trick. I haven't gotten to it yet as I've been too busy but, I hope to get at it on Friday. - Thanks, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Postby LMark » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:48 pm

You may find a dense rubber shim in there. Perhaps a layer or two. See TV Jones's site or one of the Gretsch forums for some pics in advance. LMark
LMark

Postby Tom Workman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:35 pm

Thanks, LMark for the tip.
Tom Workman

Return to Support