A note to Tom Redmond et al

Need help? Don't know how to embed youtube videos? Can't listen to mp3's on the forum? Problems browsing the Chetboard? Find the solution here!

Re: A note to Tom Redmond et al

Postby thenorm » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:29 pm

Actually, you could also edit responses on the old board, (that's what the preview button was for), ..."

True, but on this board you can go in and edit your post even a couple of days later if you want. You couldnt' on the old board. If you posted and found later it had an error you were stuck with it or you had to post another one explaining your correction.
thenorm

Postby David Elliott » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Norm,

Don't be too sure...

Ambiguity aside, I'm not sure what "sometimes for only a limited time after the post was made" means, (see pasted instructions below). :lol:

"How do I edit or delete a post?
Unless you are a board administrator or moderator, you can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post by clicking the edit button for the relevant post, sometimes for only a limited time after the post was made."...

Oh well...
David
David Elliott

Postby thenorm » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:57 pm

That's my point.
You can edit your own post after you submit it. On the old forum you could not do this.
thenorm

Postby Doug_H » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:58 pm

Personally, I think Tom should take it back to opening on the index page. The links show in vivid black on a light gray background and were always obvious to me and placed where you can't miss them (on a low, 'Fisher Price', resolution maybe the placement is different against the background image). The only 'improvement' I can see that should be made is maybe make the font for those links bigger and make the table background for those links less transparent so people's screen resolution doesn't matter. Other than that, it ain't broke and shouldn't be monkeyed with, IMO.

The reason for less posting is that people don't take the time to actually 'observe' and learn the features and just give up. It's their loss. I wouldn't chase every little complaint with these kinds of tweaks.

Also, though Tom may have intended to edit the opening link to take us to 'View Active Topics'...it's opening to 'View New Posts'. Sometimes there aren't any 'new' posts since I last looked and it's just an agravation. Anyway...I just changed my shortcut link back to the original.. index.php ... to go to the index page. No problem.
Doug_H

Postby guitarchuck » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:18 pm

I do have a question though... What is the purpose of the "Unanswered Posts" button, 'Unread' button, and the 'Friends or Foes' button? This last one seems to add a rather negative aspect to the 'Board'...

David,
The "Unanswered Posts" button can be used if you would like to read all the post that haven't gotten a response yet. I use the "View Unread Posts" button everytime I sign in. It will only show the posts that you haven't read yet. If you don't wish to read them all you can use the "Mark Forums Read" button then those won't show up the next time. I haven't really used the "Friends or Foes" button, but I guess if someone really bothers you here you can add them, I don't know, but I think their posts won't show up on your computer when you sign in. I think I've answered these right, if not anyone can feel free to correct me.
guitarchuck

Postby stambi » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:21 am

I wish I could change my posts that i wrote at the time when I first saw the the new chetboard. It seems so complicated then. Somebody wrote about "view new posts" button, and that helped me a lot. That's the key of using new chetboard. I realised that I need only "view new posts" and "View active topic" buttons to see everything what I want. So, I must change my thoughts and say: this chetboard is very good and I like it.
I'm sorry that many chetborders don't post here any more. I can't remember all their names but,.. Phil Hunt for example. I learn a lot from that man and his videos on youtube.
Boris Stambuk
stambi

Postby BillB » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:40 am

I think Phil will be back around. It sounded like he wanted to seriously focus on some musical pursuits, and I think that's probably why he is keeping a low profile. I can't wait to hear what he has to share with us when he does return.

Bill B.
BillB

Phil Hunt nails it

Postby Tompicks » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:40 am

Bill, Your post reminded me of a Phil Hunt video I really like, the one where he plays Jerry's lead break in Leibestraum. He Nails it!

BillB wrote:I think Phil will be back around. It sounded like he wanted to seriously focus on some musical pursuits, and I think that's probably why he is keeping a low profile. I can't wait to hear what he has to share with us when he does return.

Bill B.
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Postby thenorm » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:57 am

Well I think it's a good idea if you know of someone you miss posting to send them an e.mail and advilse them of the ease of using the new board and urge them to man up and learn how to use it. The chetboard, without posters, could shrivel and die...

If they stubbornly refuse to adapt just because it's a new thing and not like the old one there's not much you can do.

But I'd advise you to stay off their lawn...
thenorm

Postby thenorm » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:04 pm

Case in pont and a perfect example:

A guy today e.mailed me this question:

Norm
On what page can you find the "View new posts"?

I responded:

There is a black bar that has "Start Here" in white text when you first get to the main page
Just above that black bar are four links

View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics Mark forums read

Those are active hot links. Put your cursor on them and they change color. Click on them and they open up the list they describe. They are kinda hard to see being black on grey but they work very well.

It's easy when you know how but some folks just aren't that inquisitive about figuring out computer stuff because they may be afraid they might breakd something.

Anyway, you can copy the call and response if you want and send it on to folks who you think could use it.
thenorm

Previous

Return to Support