Amp Clipping

Need help? Don't know how to embed youtube videos? Can't listen to mp3's on the forum? Problems browsing the Chetboard? Find the solution here!

Amp Clipping

Postby Tom Workman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:01 am

Hi, all... Here is a question for you electronics-knowledgeable people. This past weekend I was performing on stage with some other musicians, playing my acoustic-electric guitar through my solid state acoustic amp and I had to drive it pretty hard to keep up with all the volume around me. (there was no XLR-out or mic available for me in order to run through the house system.) Anyway, toward the end of the set the amp conked out on me. Later that day, I hooked it up at home and it worked fine, sounded fine. This same scenario played out once before a few years ago. As I understand it, clipping can damage your speaker but, it seems to be fine. I've said all this to ask you this: Is there generally some kind of over-driving protection built into the circuitry of solid state amps designed to shut them down and prevent speaker damage? I couldn't find any info relating to this in my amp's user's manual. Just wondering. Thanks, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Re: Amp Clipping

Postby Wayne Canning » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:03 pm

Tom:
My best guess would be that your amp has a thermal cutoff circuit that shuts down the amp until an over temperature condition is corrected. Then after cooling down the amp probably operates normally.

Thanks, Take Care
Wayne
Wayne Canning

Postby Tom Workman » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:20 pm

Thanks, Wayne. I had pretty much forgotten about this since I posted it back in June. Your reply was the only one and very much appreciated. - Regards, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Postby Mike Nye » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:04 pm

If you wanna hear bad-ass but tasteful clipping-effect, find a copy of Ry Cooder's Get Rythem, and check out the opening of All Shook Up!

Be sure to have it cranked all the way up to ELEVEN ! ! !
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Return to Support