Help for beginners

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Help for beginners

Postby Roger Hardin » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:17 pm

Ty Wrote:
I think to play a 7th you'd need 7 fingers?

You would also need a 7 string guitar.... :lol:

root-3rd-5th-7th= 4 note chord
Last edited by Roger Hardin on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Hardin

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:21 pm

Help for beginners
by Mike Detlefsen » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:29 pm
An email acquaintance asked me to recommend some learning aids for Chet-style. He's into jazz guitar at the moment and has no experience at fingerpicking. I'm self-taught and have no idea what is out there to help learn from scratch. Anybody have some recommendations and where such material might be found?

Mike
I think this thread has gone way beyond the original "beginners" intent! Lol!
guitarchuck

Postby David Elliott » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:11 pm

thought this was a good discussion as it woke up the Chetboard

On the contrary, it put me to sleep about four or five posts ago! :roll:

I've been trying to figure out what all this music "theory" and "bass note" mumbo-jumbo has to do with the TOPIC of "Help for beginners"!

David
David Elliott

Postby Billy Anderson » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:14 pm

Agreed! This one could set a record!

Forgive the following notion
That I have to make this motion
let's all stop this commotion
And return to our devotion---CHET

KOP&P
Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby Randy Finney » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:17 pm

Yes, it has become a little ridiculous, hasn't it? If I were a beginner reading this thread I would probably end up thinking that I might have more fun sticking needles in my eyes than learning to play guitar.

I promise this will be my last post.

Ty...

...in your desperate attempt to insult Jack, you changed the discussion. This discussion was never about the resulting notes - we already determined that we were arriving at the same notes - it was about the Theoretical Thinking, the Intellectual Pathway if you will, for arriving at these notes. The reason for bothering to do this is to help others understand how to arrive at these notes, and to use these Pathways to discover something new (creatively refreshing), about music.

At any rate, you will be proud of me, Ty. I looked into taking a Music Theory Course. I called the Music College from which I graduated (with honors) - I only add this honors fact only so that you may have a flabbergasted chuckle and to give you fodder for your next insult - however, they are still teaching Music Theory the way it was taught when I went. It seems they haven't caught up to your advanced conceptualization of music theory just yet.

Shucks. It seems the only way I can correct this glaring deficiency in my education and learn Music Theory properly would be to take a Music Theory Course taught specifically by you. Of course, as we know, the likelihood of me passing this course would be pretty slim!

Oh well, I guess I can take some solace in the fact that I am in pretty good company. For example, with the authors of some of the text used - Mark Levine (author of "The Jazz Piano Book" and "The Jazz Theory Book"), and Gordon Delamont (author of "Modern Harmonic Technique Volumes 1 & 2", "Modern Arranging Technique", "Modern Contrapuntal Technique", "Modern Twelve-Tone Technique", and "Modern Melodic Technique") - would both fail Ty's Music Theory Course.

Oh, and so would Don Thompson - who played Bass on the Lenny Breau Trio Album and still teaches at this school.

I understand if you no longer have time to post replies in this thread as I am sure you will going through the aforementioned texts and emailing your corrections to the publishers. You know, "doing the world a favor".

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby David Elliott » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:36 pm

It seems they haven't caught up to your advanced conceptualization

God, I LOVE those six-'cylinder' words... :lol:

David
David Elliott

Postby tyguy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:15 pm

David Elliott wrote:
It seems they haven't caught up to your advanced conceptualization

God, I LOVE those six-'cylinder' words... :lol:

David
I love big words like mayonnaise! Ty M.
tyguy

Postby tyguy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:13 pm

Randy Finney wrote:Yes, it has become a little ridiculous, hasn't it? If I were a beginner reading this thread I would probably end up thinking that I might have more fun sticking needles in my eyes than learning to play guitar.

I promise this will be my last post.

Ty...

...in your desperate attempt to insult Jack, you changed the discussion. This discussion was never about the resulting notes - we already determined that we were arriving at the same notes - it was about the Theoretical Thinking, the Intellectual Pathway if you will, for arriving at these notes. The reason for bothering to do this is to help others understand how to arrive at these notes, and to use these Pathways to discover something new (creatively refreshing), about music.

At any rate, you will be proud of me, Ty. I looked into taking a Music Theory Course. I called the Music College from which I graduated (with honors) - I only add this honors fact only so that you may have a flabbergasted chuckle and to give you fodder for your next insult - however, they are still teaching Music Theory the way it was taught when I went. It seems they haven't caught up to your advanced conceptualization of music theory just yet.

Shucks. It seems the only way I can correct this glaring deficiency in my education and learn Music Theory properly would be to take a Music Theory Course taught specifically by you. Of course, as we know, the likelihood of me passing this course would be pretty slim!

Oh well, I guess I can take some solace in the fact that I am in pretty good company. For example, with the authors of some of the text used - Mark Levine (author of "The Jazz Piano Book" and "The Jazz Theory Book"), and Gordon Delamont (author of "Modern Harmonic Technique Volumes 1 & 2", "Modern Arranging Technique", "Modern Contrapuntal Technique", "Modern Twelve-Tone Technique", and "Modern Melodic Technique") - would both fail Ty's Music Theory Course.

Oh, and so would Don Thompson - who played Bass on the Lenny Breau Trio Album and still teaches at this school.

I understand if you no longer have time to post replies in this thread as I am sure you will going through the aforementioned texts and emailing your corrections to the publishers. You know, "doing the world a favor".

Randy
The "original discussion" was about using a B bass on an E7(re. Merle T's Cannonball Rag)chord(look up the post,please).There "is no" pathway intellectual or otherwise to go from a E7/B(on beat 1)to an A.Notes should never be arrived at with theory,although it does help to understand it,if one doesn't have a good ear.You need to sign up for a Harmony 1 course "as I stated" to learn the flow of chords.You already know theory?The ear is the end-all(it's music remember)Looked up Jack at NYU and he's a "FOLK GUITAR","BANJO" instructor.Banjo,ha!ha! You and Jack can never learn anything as you both know it all( ukelele,washboard,spoon and banjo theory)already.Books ain't gonna' help ya'll,so just burn 'em."Knowledge does nothing" for your ear.Ear training or exposure to certain types of music helps your ear(not taking a course from a well known bass player).Hang down your head Tom Dooley.GOOD LYRICS.Keep flailin' your banjer guys("strummin' on the ol' banjo").I've got some spoons and jugs and even a washboard if ya'll need 'em(some squeals too,yee haw).I'll even throw in some Sus.(2's and 4's)and 7th's(you pick maj. 7 or b7)chords . You guys are right(as Coltrane knew.All chords are the same).I give up.I bow to your superior "knowledge".Lets get on to another discussion.PLEASE!!!! Thanx and God Bless, Ty M. P.S. Beginners mostly need to help themselves.There's a world of information available today but if it was me I'd try to learn "simple" folk or hillbilly songs by ear(the way folks used to when you had to paint your own picture).The Paint by Number(TAB)system can be detrimental to your ear over the long haul as your progress will be stifled by lack of ear.Just get them fingers bleedin' and play all the time.If you can,play with people who are better than you( and listen). "American by Birth Southern by the Grace of God"
tyguy

Postby tyguy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:19 pm

Roger Hardin wrote:
Ty Wrote:
I think to play a 7th you'd need 7 fingers?

You would also need a 7 string guitar.... :lol:

root-3rd-5th-7th= 4 note chord
I have a seven string and all the strings are tuned the same.High E.The root is played on one E string and the 3rd the next,next the 5th etc. 'til I get to the seventh tone.Sumpin to think about. The Best, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby Roger Hardin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:40 am

This will be my last post on this thread but I must say this: I have always enjoyed Music theory and have studied it in a classical based environment as well as a Jazz based environment. To me reading the post has been like a debate from a classical guy and and jazz guy both taking different paths to get to the same conclusion. What path is taken is not as important as the final result but does make for an interesting debate until, things got ugly. When one of the debaters has to resort to doing background checks to discredit his opponent he has clearly lost the debate. The debate was about music theory and not some kind of litigation. I know the original post was about "help for beginners" but like many threads this one just kind of took a life of its own and spun out of control. Until the end I really enjoyed the back and forth.

Again this is my last post on this thread because it is time for it to go away.
Thanks to the Chetboard for all of the tolerance.
Last edited by Roger Hardin on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Hardin

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins