Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Postby Nokie » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:46 am

Hi Folks,

I just found about this list from my ol' friend Rande Dagger from whom I learned the lion's share of the few Chet (and Jerry) guitar- techniques of which I'm capable. I was deeply sorry to hear of the passing of Paul Yandell. I was out of the loop on his illness at which point Rande hip'd me to this fine group. I'm happy to know it exists.

I'm in my early 50's and came to love Chet's albums indirectly through an initial interest in instrumental surf music which led to an interest in The Ventures who launched their career on a very simplified rendition of Chet's recording of "Walk Don't Run". I had to hear Chet's recording and once I did, it was all over. I had to hear more.

Anywho, I look forward to perusing through the wealth of Chet info I see on this list and gettin' to know the regular contributors. My input may be somewhat limited as I'm back to school (at my young age) and am seriously not a Chet authority. I haven't been to the conventions but I do have most of his albums and CD's.
Best to all,
-Marty (from So Cal)
Nokie

Re: New Member

Postby RandeDager » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:43 am

I wanted to add my comments about Marty. I met him through an ad I placed in the early 90's in a local shopping paper. I was looking for someone who played Chet's style and was interested in going further with it. To my surprise, Marty called me and we got together. This started a relationship, now going on 20 years. For a period of time he came to my house every week and I would meticulously show him how to play a particular song. The goal each week was to learn a new song. He learned very quickly and was able to write down whatever he needed to to make sense out of things when he got home. I believe Marty is physically gifted when it comes to finger dexterity and accuracy. If you've ever heard Tommy Jones' ending to "Duelin' Banjos", Marty nailed that. My jaw dropped the first time he played it for me. He and I also performed a couple of at a local "Old Time Fiddlers" gathering, which was held in Ventura County, CA once a month. They always welcomed good fingerstyle guitar, which I thought may "contaminate" their purpose but they loved it.

Another interest that Marty and I have in common is mathematics. I teach locally here in Michigan for 2 local colleges and Marty is the chair of the mathematics department at a college in Southern California.

I'm glad he is part of our "family" now. Welcome, Marty!
Rande
RandeDager

Postby RandeDager » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:20 am

One more overlooked comment, that I feel is necessary, is that Marty may have given me too much credit for what he has learned on the guitar. He was very talented on his own before we ever met and has learned many things having nothing to do with me. I appreciate his kind words, however.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Roger Pratt » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:34 pm

Welcome Marty to the Chetboard! Not too many of us old relics left that still play fingerstyle but anybody that does is a pleasure to meet anymore. I am sure you will enjoy the back and forth here and I look forward to your input.
Roger Pratt

Postby Nokie » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:34 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Rande and Roger! Indeed, Roger, I seemed to run into more fingerstylists in the 60's and 70's. On the other hand, while I don't find them as much in person - a large part of that is my fault for not getting around as much - we do see a good number of fantastic players on youtube and other internet resources these days. Rande (thanks for the generosity on my behalf!) had to advertise in a paper 20 years ago when I saw the ad he mentioned. I always consider myself very fortunate to have seen his ad. Witnessing his amazing thoroughness in mastering Chet and Jerry arrangements as well as his own excellent arrangements was a real eye-opener. I believe I've now found another great resource in this list.
-Marty
Nokie

Postby RandeDager » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:26 pm

Marty, I've already described you to Bruce Keener this evening on the phone. We are getting together in a few weeks when I visit my sister in Tennessee. I'm honored that you feel the way you described about my "thoroughness". I always envied your physical abilities. I'm glad you're here now. By the way, Bruce is a prolific poster here. Watch some of his videos. Have a great weekend!
Rande
RandeDager

Postby keener » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Marty,
We are delighted to have you join us on the Chet Boards. I look forward to your postings. Rande speaks highly of you.

Rande,
Thanks for all the nice words my friend,

Bruce
keener

Postby Nokie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:27 pm

I just looked you up on youtube, Bruce. You play beautifully! And what a nice repertoire. That's something I need to expand and you've given me some good ideas. I especially like your "How High the Moon".
Best,
Marty
Nokie

Postby Gary Smith » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:03 am

Welcome to the Chetboard, Marty.

I just hope the future of the board is kept alive by new members like you, with their interest in Chet and his guitars.

We keep loosing some of the older members and it takes new blood to keep the pickers together at times like this.
I wish there were more pickers here in Phoenix that could connect like you did, but in any case, welcome, and enjoy the Q & A part of the board, where a lot of help is already given by the masters, like Paul Y.
Gary Smith

Postby keener » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:59 pm

Marty

In addition to reading the FAQs, I recommend going through each section (support, announcements, etc) and sort them by views so you can see the most popular posts in each topic. Tons of good stuff.
keener

Return to Announcement and News