Recording Microphone

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Recording Microphone

Postby BillB » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:42 pm

I've been thinking a little more seriously about trying some home recording, and I was wondering what kind of mics folks are using out there. I have a Line 6 UX2 interface that I will probably use to get started, and it has XLR inputs. So, I'm looking at XLR rather than USB input. One particular mic that I'm looking at is the AKG Perception 220 that seems to get good reviews for the price range (less than $150). However, I'm curious as to what others are using and are impressed with. Tell me what you like and if you have any experience with the AKG that I mentioned. I don't really want to spend more than $200, maybe $250.

Bill Bailey
BillB

Re: Recording Microphone

Postby Richard Hudson » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:50 pm

Bill, I assume you are talking about a mic for your amp/guitar. If you are talking electric guitar, try recording direct and see how that sounds to you. Just for grins.
Richard Hudson

Postby GaryL » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:34 pm

I recommend the Shure SM 57. It's a great all around mic. You can get one for about $100.00.
Thanks,
GaryL
GaryL

Postby BillB » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:49 pm

Hey Richard,
I'm thinking about a mic that I can use for recording vocals and acoustic guitar. I would possibly try to mic an amp, but I will definitely try going direct before that.

Gary, I thought about the SM-57, as that was the mic that I used years ago with my old Fostex 4-track cassette. I have a nice vocal mic that is not a "recording" mic. And after so
E discussion with a couple of guys at church that do some recording, I was steered more in the direction of the condenser that are designed more for home studio use. Some are very resona ly priced.

I appreciate your responses.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby BillB » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:58 pm

Oops! I don't usually type that poorly. I made mistakes when I typed that last post from my phone. I think it makes sense, though.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Phil Waldron » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:40 pm

Bill ... I agree with GaryL if you are recording an amplifier. The Shure SM57 is hard to beat on an amplifier. If going acoustically I usually use an AKG 414 or AKG 451/451. They are a little pricey but great sound. As for electric guitar I do kind of like Richard Hudson says except I go through an Avalon VT737 pre-amp first ... very clean and great dynamic range. Phil
Phil Waldron

Postby Roger Hardin » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:46 pm

I have used an AT4033 for a while. Its one of the better mics you will find this side of an AKG414. You can usually get them for about $400 ACMElectronics has it for $334. Its great for vocals and acoustic guitar. Marshall also makes a good line of mics for the price. The MXL 2003 is an excellent mic for the price. I have used it and it sounds great on vocals and guitars. It is worth the price for sure.

Thanks
Roger
Roger Hardin

Postby thumbslinger » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:59 pm

The Yeti by Blue has been amazing. It's only $99 at Amazon and usually $150 at the big stores. First THX certified mic, it has an array of three condenser mic and you can set it for Stereo, Cardiord, OmniDirectional or BiDirectional.

Looks really cool, heavy, usb cord supplied is nice and long... google it and check it out.
thumbslinger

Postby BillB » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:29 pm

Thanks for all of your responses. I ended up buying a brand new AKG Perception 220 from a seller on eBay for $115 and free shipping. It comes with the spider looking shock mount and a nice case. I was very impressed with the online reviews that I read about it for recording vocals, instruments and amps.

I looked at and was very impressed with the Yeti mic, but I needed an XLR mic for the Line 6 Toneport that I'm using.

Thanks again,

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Mike Nye » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:32 am

I find it odd that it was never specified if it was to be used for miking an acoustic or electric guitar (amp) or for vocals.
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment