Calling It Quits (Kinda)

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Re: Calling It Quits (Kinda)

Postby keener » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:26 pm

RichardSmith wrote:I wouldn't quit either Bruce! I just wanted to help make folks aware of the info. i'm out on the road playing live, that's how i make a living. You can't stop progression like the online music business, you just have to run with it and figure out how to make it work for you

I know you're right Richard.

You and Tommy Emmanuel will always do well, because you can do the road without worrying about health issues and so on, and the demand is there for you. But, there are some great pickers who cannot do the road (health or family situations or not enough bookings), and making money online could be key for them. Perhaps, as you pointed out, they could do okay by cutting their own CDs and selling through their own websites, but they still are fighting "free."

If I were to quit making videos entirely, and even if I took down all the existing videos (not even thinking of doing that), it would make No difference in the competition with "free" that many pickers have to live with. So, I guess I could rethink my position of not adding any videos beyond 83. I am still really conflicted by this, though. There was a time, in my very early 20's, when I could have become a studio musician, and I suppose I would have done okay at it. As it is, I went the route of becoming an engineer. But, I can picture myself "in some alternate universe" struggling in my later years because "free music" whooped me.

Thanks again Richard.

All my best
Bruce
keener

Postby keener » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:46 pm

After considering the comments each of you made, along with some made to me in private and some made publicly on Facebook, here's what I consider key points:

Music teachers and musicians will have to adapt to the digital age. (Richard and others have said it, and it's just a fact, whether we like it or not.)

My recordings are like a drop of water in this whole sea change, and will make no difference one way or another.

"All music is God's music" (via Roger Hardin, whom I think was quoting Doyle Dykes) -- it is because of God that I can write and play music better than the average person, and for me to not share it would be wasting a talent.

Nonetheless, I do plan to upload A LOT LESS OFTEN ... there have been times when I wrote 2 or 3 songs a week and I uploaded every one of them. In the future I'll try to only upload the ones that I think my picking friends will appreciate, instead of uploading everything. Some of my songs will be "lost" and some of my music will die with me. That's just the way of life. Some of Chet's music died with him. Same with Jerry. And on and on.

I have reduced the number of uploads from 83 to 69 (I deleted 14 videos that I thought were crap).

Thanks to all who commented.

All my best,
Bruce
keener

Postby Roger Pratt » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:35 pm

Keep up the good work Bruce! Your work is always appreciated here.
Roger Pratt

Postby keener » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:51 pm

Thank you very much, Roger. Your compliments have always meant a lot to me. The way you take the time to compliment and encourage all of us who try to entertain (me, Chuck, George, Phil, Eddie, Randy, Neil, ...) is helpful and appreciated, more than you can know. "Little acts of kindness/consideration" can add up to have a significant impact.

Thank you again
Bruce
keener

Postby Mike Nye » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 am

This is probably why tee-shirts are gonna soon cost $300.00 at concerts ! ! !
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby stambi » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:51 am

Hallo Bruce,
I think you should keep with uploading your music. I am begginer with fingerstyle, that is my hobby. I don't play gigs and don't make any money on that. Your videos help me to understand how to play this music. I dowloaded some of your videos for my own use, and sometimes I watch them to learn something new. I also do it with Phil Hunt's videos. I learned lot from his videos. If Phil and You would make your own DVDs for learning music I would purchase that for sure, like I purchase 4 Buster's dvds, 3 Marcel Dadi's, 3 chet's. I purchase 2 books from Craig. I found most of these videos for download from youtube and also found most parts of these books but I want to have originals.
Anyway, everybody steals from somebody. Buster from chet, chet from Jerry, all combinations are possible.
Thank You and keep pickin'
Boris Stambuk
stambi

Postby keener » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:24 pm

Mike,
The only way I'm doing $300 for a tee-shirt is if Norah Jones is stuffed in it !

Boris,
Thank you for the feedback. I am delighted that you have found at least some of my videos to be helpful. Phil's videos are certainly better for learning, and he does a splendid job of making sure the viewer understands what he is doing. All I do is make my fingers visible. While part of my soul has always wanted to be a teacher, I don't think I'm particularly good at teaching, so I just try to make it possible for people to see what I do and hope that they can go from there.

I have put up a couple of more videos since I posted this, although I did take down 14 that I thought were crappy (if I took down all the ones that were kinda crappy, there would be nothing left !). So, I've not abandoned the posting of videos completely. I think Richard made a compelling point that artists have to learn how to live with, maybe take advantage of, the "new music industry," so I will not feel "conflicted" if I post again, but I still feel bad that there are people who are far, far, far better pickers than me and that they have to work their butts off to stay afloat in the music business.

Anyway, it was nice of you to give me feedback. I wish you the best.

Bruce
keener

Postby RandeDager » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:09 pm

Bruce, I've stayed quiet about this until now. What makes your videos unique is that you're doing things that are your own so we don't have a "mental tape" playing in our minds as we listen to you. I watch for little "twists and turns" and see if there is anything I can use, either with your technique or with the combination of notes that your playing.

I do consider that there is value it what you've posted and it goes beyond just you connecting with various memories of people special to you in your past.

Another reason that I'd like you to reconsider is so that I don't feel guilty when I'm one day set up to post some of my own material.......lol!
Rande
RandeDager

Postby keener » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:52 pm

Rande,

Thank you for the nice comments. I always feel like I've missed the mark if I don't get a comment from you, so I appreciate that you've added your thoughts.

Hopefully you won't feel any guilt at all when you do post some tunes. I look forward to you doing so.

All my best
Bruce
keener

Postby bill_h » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:46 pm

Bruce, you're a class act for even wrestling with this isssue of how the new technology is impacting intellectual property, copyrights, royalties and such. Most people forget that songwriters, composers, and artists have to eat too. With that having been said I honestly believe you made the right decision ( to keep posting.) You Tube and Real Player both bring in advertising revenue. There's no reason why copyright holders and such couldn't be paid from this advertising revenue the same way they get paid for radio airplay through BMI, ASCAP, and SESAC. As far as I'm concerned the real culprit in this picture is You Tube and Real Player bringing in revenue and not sharing it with artists, composers, and such. ( And of course Congress for not doing much of anything but taking vacations, giving themselves raises, and running for reelection!)

It may cost and arm and a leg to go to a concert these days but I'm told that it's because one union unloads all the equipment and sets it onstage and then another union takes everything out of the containers and hooks it up. It has nothing to do with this new technology.

I doubt that the Bruce Keener in the parallel universe that made it as a studio musician is sitting around wringing his hands if his signature licks have gone out of style and he's not getting called for sessions like he used to. He's probably figured out how to use this new technology to his advantage.

As far sending the wrong message to the younger generation, American Idol does a good enough job of that. They have the public thinking all it takes to be a star is to go before a 3 person jury and let them wave a magic wand over you. Of course it's probably understood that they have to stop by the tatoo parlor at some point.
bill_h

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement and News