tuning at concerts

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

tuning at concerts

Postby rhirvine » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:13 pm

I've been able to see a couple of my guitar heroes up close at the Coffee House Backstage in Altidena, CA and I've noticed that both guys retuned before each song. Some of you gig playing guitarists out there can probably answer this, I'm strictly an amateur. Myself I use an electronic tuner once before I start messing around but the professionals with better ears for tuning re-tune alot. I know that sometimes it's for a special tuning but sometimes I wonder if they temper the tuning for each key so that it will be spot on for that particular key.
rhirvine

Re: tuning at concerts

Postby Roger Hardin » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:58 pm

If I am playing a song in standard tuning and am not using a lot of open string chords I will match the 4th string B in the 9th Fret with the open 2nd string B, and match the 5th string natural harmonic 7th fret with with the open 1st string E . This lowers the pitch of the 4th string. For some reason it sounds more in tune but if I am playing something in a open G or G6th tuning I match the D string 5th fret natural harmonic with the 3rd string 7th fret natural harmonic. Anytime I am using a lot of open strings and mixing them with notes in the upper frets I keep the 4th string at standard pitch but for some reason it sounds better in standard tuning especially for Jazz chords to lower the 4th string a tad.

thanks
roger
Roger Hardin

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins