International Thumbpicking Weekend info...

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

International Thumbpicking Weekend info...

Postby Joe Hudson » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:42 pm

It is that time of year again, September 23-25 - International Home of the Legends Thumbpicking Weekend

Just a few highlights: - Friday 23rd - Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony rounded out with a performance by Joe & Jan Edwards
Saturday 24th -International Thumbpicking Championship - Registration at 9:00am, contest begins at 10:00am
Saturday Evening beginning at 7:00 pm- "Evolution of the Thumb" - A journey visiting where Thumbstyle began, where it has been, and where it is going. Featured performances by: Eddie Pennington, Paul Moseley, Steve Rector, Scott Taylor, and rounded out by a concert featuring Brent Mason.
September 25th is the open mic Jam Session at Paradise Park - 11:00am
visit http://www.ntphf.com for more details, or email joehudson01@comcast.net for more information.

Also, a sneak peek of this years grand prize to the Grand Champion...
Attachments
G6120BK.jpg
6120 Chet Atkins Hollowbody
Joe Hudson

Re: International Thumbpicking Weekend info...

Postby RonBloor » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:28 am

I gotta know... How did the contest go yesterday???
I couldn't go this year, but I was certainly there is spirit.. :)
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby bill_h » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:42 pm

Life's just not fair sometimes. I was in Nashville Tues - Fri, just a hop skip and jump from Muhlenberg County, doing my monthly thing where I "unoficially" live in Nashville. Got in the big rig yesterday and drove to a facility in the boondocks of TN only to find out they won't load me till Monday. I'm stuck here in the middle of nowhere doing absolutely nothing while thumbpicking weekend is in progress :cry: ! ( Not getting paid either :| )

Thought about asking Joe if he could get everyone to come a couple of days early but don't have a crash helmet or backpack. Might not be safe to read his response without wearing both :lol: .

Hope everyone had a great time that got to attend.
bill_h

Postby Joe Hudson » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:19 pm

Open Category:
Winner - Shohei Toyoda
2nd place - James Caudill
3rd place - Cameron Castle
4th place - Alonzo Pennington
5th place - Randy Buckner

Contemporary Category:
Winner - Shohei Toyoda
2nd - Alonzo Pennington
3rd - Cameron Castle
4th - James Caudill
5th - Randy Buckner

Traditional Category
Winner: Alonzo Pennington
2nd - Randy Buckner
3rd - Scott Taylor
4th - Shannon Stine
5th - Doc Rogers

Grand Champion winner and winner of Gretsch guitar, and a one year endorsement from Dean Markley- Shohei Toyoda

Had 14 contestants, including 10 year old Evan Twitty from Vincennes, IN, who did an outstanding job and promises to become a great thumbpicker - The competition was very stiff, and my hat is off to everyone, what a great bunch of pickers!

Saturday nights "Evolution of the Thumb" show seemed to be well received. Rosebud Pennington, Eddie Pennington, Steve Rector, Paul Moseley, Craig Dobbins, Pat Kirtley and Scott Taylor carried out the story behind the history of this music that we love so much to the letter and Brent Mason did a first class job of rounding out the evening. My personal thank you to everyone involved in helping us have another successful event.. see you the 4th weekend of September, 2012!! (I will be posting 2011 inductees names on Hall of Fame website soon - www.ntphf.com)

Joe Hudson
Joe Hudson

Postby craigdobbins » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:33 pm

We had a great time in KY. Joe's a great host, and it's always a pleasure to hear folks like Eddie P., Paul Moseley, and all the rest. Congratulations to all the winners and contestants.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby Pickin Palmer » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:51 pm

It was great hearing you play there, too, Craig. Smooooth as silk – as usual! It was a wonderful weekend of “thumb style” guitar music with a great production of the “history of thumbpickin” put on by Joe Hudson, his staff and those many volunteers Saturday evening. I think we all were taken back at how well Joe “stepped up to the plate” by batting lead licks back and forth with Brent Mason later on in the concert. GREAT JOB, JOE!!! WOW!!!

It wasn’t over for me, though. Last night I took the Grand Champion, Shohei Toyoda, (residing here in Columbus, Ohio) out to Newark, Ohio to “meet n greet” Tommy Emmanuel before his concert at the beautiful old Midland Theater. (Here’s a pic of him playing in the contest - http://ofgc.net/images/Shohei/WKcont092411.JPG)

After hearing about Shohei’s win out in Muhlenberg County, Tommy gladly autographed the very Chet Atkins 6120 Gretsch guitar that he won.
http://ofgc.net/images/Shohei/TEsig092811.JPG

And, Tommy PLAYED A COUPLE CHET TOONS ON IT FOR HIM!!! http://ofgc.net/images/Shohei/TEplay092811.JPG

It’s one week that the young Shohei will never forget. (Shoot, I might just remember this one ma’self…. Shoot, I might just remember this one ma’self… (LOL)

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby bill_h » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:56 pm

So, Palmer says somebody stood on stage with Brent Mason and held his own?? I'l buy that as long as it's Joe Hudson we're talking about! Sounds like I missed a great weekend!
bill_h

Return to Announcement and News