GLen Campbell last night....

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

GLen Campbell last night....

Postby thumbslinger » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:24 pm

Saw Glen Campbell last night in Houston/Stafford. 75 and pretty spry considering he's fighting Alzheimer's. Fantastic show, he's still got a great voice and though his technique is a little south of his glory days, his thinking on the guitar is still awesome!

I'd never seen him in concert before and was really happy to see how much of 'him' he allowed on that stage. Jokes about his memory and such of course, but the little things like after finishing a certain tune, he said, "oh I just love singing that...great chords..ok, what's next boys?" were the little gems of character.

Sang all of the Jimmy Webb hits he had and his own and three from his new album.

They brought out an electric 12-string...he's tuning up and says, "that's close enough for jazz" and busts out Southern Nights.

His instrumental was Dueling Banjos with his daughter Ashley on the banjo and as is his style, he played the main licks for the ear but added his own improv and tones for the heart and was awesome.

The biggest crowd pleaser wasn't the biggest country hit of the millennium, Wichita Lineman but rather Rinestone Cowboy which the crowd sang.

So, if you get a chance to see him on his final tour, I'm sure everybody here will enjoy the show.
thumbslinger

Re: GLen Campbell last night....

Postby Mike Nye » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:50 pm

thumbslinger wrote:Saw Glen Campbell last night in Houston/Stafford. 75 and pretty spry considering he's fighting Alzheimer's. Fantastic show, he's still got a great voice and though his technique is a little south of his glory days, his thinking on the guitar is still awesome!

I'd never seen him in concert before and was really happy to see how much of 'him' he allowed on that stage. Jokes about his memory and such of course, but the little things like after finishing a certain tune, he said, "oh I just love singing that...great chords..ok, what's next boys?" were the little gems of character.

Sang all of the Jimmy Webb hits he had and his own and three from his new album.

They brought out an electric 12-string...he's tuning up and says, "that's close enough for jazz" and busts out Southern Nights.

His instrumental was Dueling Banjos with his daughter Ashley on the banjo and as is his style, he played the main licks for the ear but added his own improv and tones for the heart and was awesome.

The biggest crowd pleaser wasn't the biggest country hit of the millennium, Wichita Lineman but rather Rinestone Cowboy which the crowd sang.

So, if you get a chance to see him on his final tour, I'm sure everybody here will enjoy the show.

Whatta Career . . . WRECKING CREW . . . Eeee OWWWW ! ! !
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Return to Announcement and News