Chet's tone

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Chet's tone

Postby Craig_Pratt » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:57 am

I don't really have anything to add to this thread, like a quote or anything, but I imagine just as Chet's playing and techniques evolved over the years, so did his recording techniques, depending on what sound he wanted. One thing we can all agree on though, is that Chet had a sound like no other.
Craig_Pratt

Re: Chet's tone

Postby Norm » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:56 am

You're talking about a guy who did a lot of studio work and released over eighty albums under his own name. He was an extremely curious man in that he was always looking for a new 'best way' in guitaring but he also kept track of what worked and what didn't.

Whether he used an amp or went direct was probably well thought out before he even checked the tuning of his guitar for a given session. He did his homework and practiced his parts and was ready to go.

On some songs, particularly during his gretsch era, he preferred using his Standel and the finest mics available to get that room ambiance that direct recording can't duplicate. According to Paul, Chet's Standel was extremely quiet running making it a perfect recording amp. There is a certain presence that recording direct gives that micing an amp cannot deliver. Chet no doubt knew exactly what he wanted for each tune he intended to record and I think he would have found sticking to one method all the time would have been limiting.

Nobody is always anything.

Eighty albums with a minimum of twelve songs each is a lot of studio situations. That's almost a thousand titles.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Previous

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins