Guitarist on Porter Wagoner

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Guitarist on Porter Wagoner

Postby Oddsteven » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:19 pm

I was watching a Porter Wagoner show today that was on my DVR. He had a fingerstyle guitar player that I couldn't figure his name. Not Buck Trent. This guy was playing an Epiphone of some sort. It sounded like he introduced him as Don Osmon, but I can't find anybody by that name when I search google for him. He was a pretty good player, played a Merle Travis tune that I can't remember the name of, but I recognized it.
Steve Cowles
Oddsteven

Re: Guitarist on Porter Wagoner

Postby rhirvine » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:18 am

I'm just guessing but maybe Jackie Phelps?
rhirvine

Postby gmoseley » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:56 am

I'll bet it was Bruce Osburn. He played with Porter for a while, played fingerstyle guitar. I heard him on Porter's show many times....He knocked me out one time when he played "Huntin' Boots" - - I'd never seen anybody play that tune, I'd heard it but had no idea where it was played on the neck - - so I got a lesson that day!
gmoseley

Postby PhilHunt » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:03 am

I remember an episode with Chet and there was a guy playing a Baldwin 801CP classical....I think the tune was "Jolene" with Dolly.
PhilHunt

Postby RandeDager » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:09 pm

The only person I've ever seen playing "Huntin' Boots" was Tommy Jones and he did it on his Hascal Haile!
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Oddsteven » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:02 pm

I finally got back here. The guitarist I'm talking about is at the very start of this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS-F4rfU4ns
Unfortunately that's all I can find on Youtube - looks like he was only on the show in '73 or '74. Good picker though.
Steve Cowles
Oddsteven

Postby Hendrik » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:23 pm

PhilHunt wrote:I remember an episode with Chet and there was a guy playing a Baldwin 801CP classical....I think the tune was "Jolene" with Dolly.

Looks like the same guy who's playing the Baldwin on "Jolene". But it's debatable...

Dolly Parton - Jolene (Porter Wagoner Show)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plvBR02wDs
Hendrik

Postby Oddsteven » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:21 pm

That's the same guy - strangely enough I recognize the way his hand looks picking...
Steve Cowles
Oddsteven

Postby craigdobbins » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:37 pm

As Gayle said, that's Bruce Osborne, in both clips. He worked with Porter for a short time after Buck Trent left. He was a fingerpicker, and he usually played a high-end Epiphone (I think that's what he used on "Huntin' Boots"- Porter like to have him play that). I remember a show where he and Porter both played Baldwins. It was a Reed sounding arrangement, and Porter played backup while Bruce played lead.

Here's a nice little tidbit about Bruce:

http://www.martystuart.com/ZArt-CountryFever1-95.htm

Craig
craigdobbins

Return to Announcement and News