Tommy Emmanuel Live Stream performance

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Tommy Emmanuel Live Stream performance

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:24 pm

I just watched Tommy Emmanuel's live stream performance from the Country Music HOF. Tommy's comments about Chet, and then his guitar performance should inspire every guitar player. John Knowles joined Tommy to do a couple of songs as 'brothers' of the guitar and their style meshed beautifully. Congratulations to the Hall of Fame Museum for this presentation and to Tommy and John for honoring us with the stories and guitar playing.
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Re: Tommy Emmanuel Live Stream performance

Postby Terry Tolley » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:33 pm

I could not agree more! The whole experience was just mesmerizing. If I had to pick favorite parts, there would be three...the stories, especially of how Tommy explained his final understanding of the cascading harmonics, and the tributes to Jerry and Paul, and finally....the emotion put into the performances...all will stick in my memory for quite some time to come. Just awesome!
Terry Tolley

Postby BillB » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:34 pm

They dedicated San Antonio Stroll to Paul Yandell, and Tommy mentioned the much deserved CGP award that was given to Paul by Chet's daughter, Merle. I caught the tail end, and I look forward to seeing the whole thing when the make it available online.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby BCLibrarian » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:27 pm

I tuned in on time but they must have started a bit later than expected. I will review when it is available for playback to see what I missed.
After I started watching TE did
To 2 B or Not to B
Windy &Warm (with the Grieg - "Hall of the Mountain King" Lick)
9lb Hammer - Merle Travis
Chaplin In New Shoes
Beatles: Lady Madonna, Day Tripper
A Taste of Honey
Blue Moon
Over The Rainbow
(Duane Eddy was recognized as an attendee by TE)
Struttin’ (Jerry Reed)
Then Dr. J (John Knowles) joined TE mentioning New CGP – Paul Yandell (Congrats Paul!) to do
San Antonio Stroll
and they finished with a beautiful and perfect choice - a tear to the eye version of Tennessee Waltz.
Anyone who reads this will be a :D when they hear this pickin'!
BTW TE is on the Grand Old Opry tonight after 7:30 and Dr. J is doing a show at CMHOF tomorrow at 1pm, I wish they would livestream that one too.
Now- back to hunkering down for Irene...
BCLibrarian

Postby guitarchuck » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:46 pm

I just had a wonderful day at the CMHOF! The new Chet Atkins display is wonderful, Tommy's show was great! Had my picture taken with Duane Eddy (He had good things to say about Richard Hudson's pickin'). Also had a nice chat with Fred Gretsch and got my photo with him too. While I was there my dad ran into Dwayne Friend at Silver Dollar City and put me on the phone with him. What a day!
guitarchuck

Postby John Knowles » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:41 am

Guys, you can only imagine how wonderful it was to be there today and play a small part in Tommy's heartfelt tribute to Chet. I'll be doing a performance with stories tomorrow at 1:00. They are not planning to stream it. Rats! But I am working with the HOF staff to see that more events like today's are presented and recorded during the life of the exhibit. Music City Johnny
John Knowles

Postby guitarchuck » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:50 am

John, aka "Music City Johnny",
I wish I had time to stay for your program today, but I'm flying back this morning. I have to be back towork tomorrow. We bought a years membership, so hopefully we can see some more of the great programs that you are helping put on. I really enjoyed the show yesterday. You guys did great!
guitarchuck

Postby John Knowles » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:20 am

Travel safely, Chuck.
John Knowles

Postby rhirvine » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks so much for this post. I finally got to see a live performance of Tommy Emmanuel and John Knowles. Since I play my computer through my HD TV and have home theater sound the experience was great. I've gotten to see Richard Smith live out here in southern california maybe Tommy Emmanuel will perform out here someday. Here is a list of the guitar greats I've seen live: Chet Atkins, Merle Travis, Jerry Reed, Lenny Breau, George Van Epps, Barney Kessel and Herb Ellis, Kenny Burrell, Joe Maphis, Roy Clark. There are probably more but my memory is getting bad.

Rich Irvine
rhirvine

Return to Announcement and News