That was weird - OT

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Re: That was weird - OT

Postby David Elliott » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:57 pm

Here's a good link to the news coverage of the Northridge Earthquake...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xV1xRP7XQI
David Elliott

Postby Eddie Estes » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:06 pm

Yeah we are okay. I was at the Culpeper Town office on the third floor when it hit.
Building had some structural damage.
My house is ok no damage.
My supervisors house had some foundation damage.
I was working near the epicenter about 1 1/2 hours before it hit.
Scary for my little girl.

Eddie
Eddie Estes

Postby stambi » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:55 am

PhilHunt wrote:I was upstairs in my bedroom getting ready for work. The house was shaking back and forth, pictures were falling off the walls, drawers in the dressers all started opening, my movies in my basement started falling off the shelf.
Definately the scariest thing I have encountered. It scared the hell out of me. It lasted about 5-10 seconds. I thought the whole house was going to collapse.

Hi Phil
I'm glad you are o.k. Can you tell me more about your house. Is it made from bricks, concrete, wood ...? What are dimesions of the house, Maybe dimesions of outer walls, how many floors, the height of the house... Are there any cracks on the walls?. I'm civil engineer and that would be interesting for me and my job.Thanks
Boris Stambuk
stambi

Postby BillB » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:45 am

Glad to hear that everyone is okay. That has to be a bit scary.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby RandeDager » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:18 am

My house and family were effected by the Northridge quake but I was on a job interview in Maryland that morning. When I returned home to my job, several of my students were gone for a few days because of this. They actually lived in Northridge. As I recall, earthquake insurance covered only 90% of the damage to a home. Maybe David can correct me, but I don't believe a person could pay for 100% coverage. The family of one of my students had to come up with $75,000 as their 10% portion to repair their home.

My daughter described what it was like to wish she had wings and knew that the only safe place to be was to be hovering above the ground!
Rande
RandeDager

Postby David Elliott » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:17 am

Maybe David can correct me, but I don't believe a person could pay for 100% coverage...

Hi Rande,
To tell you the truth, I don't remember what the laws were at that time because like 90% of the people, we did not have earthquake insurance! :cry: You're correct though, that the premiums were so absurd (something like 60% "deductuble" of the amount insured), that most people just took their chances! The laws have been changed since then however, making 'quake insurance more affordable and limiting how much the insurance companies can "gouge" you!

What made this even more traumatic, was the fact that less than 6 months before the 'quake, we had just finished a year long, extensive renovation of our home, which was effectively "wiped out" in about 15 seconds that fateful morning! The end result of that was that we had to do it all over again, and I had to delay my retirement by about two years!

Even with all that however, I think the worst thing about the Northridge 'Quake, (on a personal level) was the loss of old "Lucille", our 15 year old cat. She had been sleeping out by the block wall in our back yard, and was crushed to death when the wall collapsed during the shaking...

David
David Elliott

Postby RandeDager » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:19 pm

David, I never realized how much that quake effected you personally. I knew people who lived both in Simi Valley
and in Northridge and experience NO damage. For you to be in that exact path of damage probably puts you in
a minority, even though anyone living in that area was vulnerable. Over in Newbury Park, I had some electronic
music equipment damaged through bending and/or falling.

I'm also sorry about your cat. That's where the emotions and sense of loss can be very powerful. I'm sure that
was like losing a family member, or maybe throwing out the word "like".
Rande
RandeDager

Previous

Return to Announcement and News