Paul Yandell CGP?

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Paul Yandell CGP?

Postby dgallent » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:07 am

Would someone post how this happened....this is great news for a dear friend, talented player and devout loyalist to Chet....long overdo....just would like to know how this happened and the circumstances....it is certainly an appropriate topic for this Board...saw where someone posted it and then took it down...I also saw two interviews with Chet wherein he made Muriel Anderson one and some female picker a CGP as well.

This distinction keeps Chet's legacy alive and who does more to accomplish that than Paul Yandell.
dgallent

Re: Paul Yandell CGP?

Postby guitarchuck » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:54 am

I copied the answer to your question here from the other thread:

Re: It's official! PAUL YANDELL, C.G.P.! by guitarchuck » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:42 pm

The Atkins family awarded it to Paul. They stated in the declaration that no more will ever be awarded. Merle Atkins presented the award along with Steve Wariner. Merle said something like "I heard from above, if you know what I mean" Paul told the whole story about how the award came about, including the part about Leona not wanting any more given out. I personally think Merle and her family did a wonderful thing for Paul, even though the original CGP award was his idea. Paul was really proud to receive it.
guitarchuck

Postby dgallent » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:26 am

Thanks a lot and congrats to Paul...so very well deserved and to Merle for listening.....
dgallent

Postby Gary Smith » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:19 pm

I'm thrilled that Paul was officially recognized by Chet's daughter, Merle.

I know he was humble about ever getting a CGP award, since it was his idea, but since Merle is the spokes person for Chets family, it carries more meaning coming from the Atkins family.

Just my opinion, I'm glad the award was made.

Now, all the printed records should include him, making 6 CGP's.
Gary Smith

Postby thenorm » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:15 pm

According to Paul there are officially only four.

The distinction being those four recieving the full treatment of getting a public ceremony at CAAS.

Here is a discussion I wrote up once and added to my archive. It doesn't clear much up but for what its' worth here it is...

Chet gave out only four CGP's, Jerry Reed, Steve Wariner, John Knowles and Tommy Emmanuel, there are two or three people who claim Chet gave them one but that's bogus there were and are only four.

Addendum: It would appear that Leona Boyd got the award also based on a TV clip. I transcribed the conversation:
Chet: “I just had a new album out called Chet Atkins, CGP.”
Liona: (pointing to a button he is wearing) “I saw that on your braces”.(suspenders)
Chet:” That's my CGP. I always wanted a PhD. I never could get it 'cause I dropped out, so I gave myself... “
Liona: (inaudible...something about honorary doctorates)
Chet:” I gave myself an honorary doctorate. It's a Certified Guitar Player. I guess it's more like a CPA. But I figured as long as I've been playin', and tryin' to get it right, that I should be certified by now. So I gave myself a degree.
I'll give you one if you'd like it. I'll give you this pin. (He removes pin and hands it to her.)And you can pin it on your sweater there. “
Liona: “Thank you.” (Rest is inaudible).
Chet “And...you can sign your name. When you sign autographs you can sign Liona Boyd, CGP. “
Liona: (pointing to the letters on the button) “Chet, the Great Player.”

Ed note{ Paul really didn’t care to address this because, as he put it, “we have talked this subject to death folks.” However, with the four men mentioned the award was a full presentation complete with written testimonial and ‘trophy’ object.

Re: the pin Paul said this: “Mark Pritchard one year before the CAAS made up a bunch of CGP pins… I use to have a handful… and he gave them out when people checked in. Chet carried some around in his pocket. I guess you could say everybody who got a pin is one.”

_______

We regular folks can split hair and argue about it all day but, according to Paul and Chet's estate there are only four honorees now increased to five with the addition of Paul.

Merle and Paul should be and in my minds eye are the final say on the topic.

Five official full-on recipients of the CGP. Liona Boyd's pinning would make her an honorable mention I would think since it seemed spontaneous and did not have the accompanying document nor was it delivered at a CAAS. If Muriel was ever designated I hadn't heard her mention it in the two times I saw her live and she always acknowleges Chet at her shows.
thenorm

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:29 pm

I think Gary was counting Chet himself.
guitarchuck

Postby thenorm » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:58 pm

You may be right, Chuck.

Sorry I'm such a fussbudget about this but old timers on the board will recall many times people would argue and question and ask the same thing again and again ("how many CGP awards") etc that Paul, as noted, said it got talked to death.

And it still is. But, yeah, adding Chet to the five does make six.

It's one of those things Paul and Chet started up initially as a lark and, like so many things of this nature, gained weight as time went on.

I'm glad Merle put a lock on it.
thenorm

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:16 pm

I was just guessing on that Norm, anyway always good to have the facts. Chet even made himself an official document. I understand his "C.G.P. degree" is on display at the special CMHOF exhibit now. I hope to see it soon!
guitarchuck

Postby thenorm » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:04 pm

It always bothered me that Vanderbilt University couldn't see their way clear to give him an honorary Phd in music considering what he did for the industry and Nashville itself.

Some folks on the board a few years ago suggested petitioning the University to have it done but I thought it would be an empty gesture since Chet had died and would not have had the pleasure of knowing it was done...
thenorm

Return to Announcement and News