Ten Years On

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Ten Years On

Postby Kerry Appoo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:16 am

I remember 30th June 2001. The world has changed a fair bit since then, but I would reckon many many people would still be struggling trying to copy the great man. I know I am but I will keep listening and trying. Chet would have wanted us to do that.
Kerry Appoo

Re: Ten Years On

Postby Tompicks » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:51 pm

Sad 10 year anniversary - but I like to think Chet will be known and appreciated 100 years from now and that's what I think about. I enjoy other music but hearing Chet makes me feel good in a way that is unlike listening to any other music.
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Postby RandeDager » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:23 pm

To me he felt like "family" because he was such a big part of my life for so long. He was like an extended family member that I would only get to see once in a while at family functions or reunions. The equivalent of these were concerts and CAAS events. And he had such an influence on me that I thought about him much more often than I did most of my extended family.

I'll never forget that I got 3 phone calls on that Saturday afternoon telling me the news. I had been following things pretty closely through connections in Nashville but the finality of these calls caught me off guard and had a potent effect on the rest of my weekend, and then the Summer.

We also lost Carroll O'Connor and Jack Lemon in about the same week.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby BillB » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:12 pm

Even though Chet was one of my guitar heroes, I had never been to CAAS, nor had I really been keeping track of what was going on (i.e. concerts, etc.). I had been working on a seminary degree, then getting married, and my guitar was getting played once or twice a week. I knew that Chet had released an album with "some guy from Australia" that I'd never heard of, but that was probably the most recent thing that I knew. I was leading music at church on Sunday morning, and one of the musicians said, "Hey, did you hear that Chet Atkins passed away?". I remember that it really caught me off guard. Shortly after that, I found the Chetboard (Fretboard at that time), and I made up my mind that I would finally learn to use a thumbpick. I've since learned to use a thumbpick, and I've made a bunch of new friends through the Chetboard, CAAS, and the Texas Fingerstyle Guitar Association. I agree with Tom that Chet will still be known many, many years from now.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby RandeDager » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:14 pm

Bill, I want to personally thank you for your association with CAAS and Chet fans such as myself. I consider you to be one of the best friends I've made through the network. I'm trying to work things out to attend the CAAS convention next Summer 2012, even though the 28th year isn't significant.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby BillB » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:55 pm

Hey Rande!
Thanks, and I feel the same about you. You and Glen Burgin sure helped me out in 2009 when I purchased my Maton guitar at CAAS. I really respect your opinion on guitars and guitar pickin'. I'm hoping to go this year, but I haven't finalized everything. Not sure about next year, though.

Take care,
Bill B.
BillB

Postby RandeDager » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:48 am

Hi Bill,

I'm glad that you enjoy your Maton. I'm certainly no expert but I do have an idea about quality and features, regardless of the brand.

I also don't know about attending CAAS next year but in order for it to happen I DO know what I'll have to say "no" to. Right now I'm teaching summer school. Not being a "regular" teacher and only being an adjunct, I don't get paid when I don't work. I'll have to see how I can work all of that out.

I know that I'll be disappointed if I do attend and you aren't able to! But then, I'll understand.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Eddie Estes » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:25 pm

Some days as I play the realization hits me. Never a new Chet or Jerry album to look forward to.

I have tried to not give up hope that eventually all the tracks Chet recorded with George Benson
will be released or that RCA or whoever they are will get us all of Chet and Jerry's albums on Itunes.

Maybe Merle will get someone to go through all of Chet's tapes I heard he had and release whatever
else is in there. Maybe Jerry's tapes he sent Chet of his tunes or some tapes of Lenny Chet said he had.

I never give up hope!
Eddie Estes

Postby Stephy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:47 am

Chet is somebody you can count on through his music. He reaches out for us through the works he accomplished.

Making the world go round as it seems.
Stephy

Postby mattburnside » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:37 pm

Eddie Estes wrote:I have tried to not give up hope that eventually all the tracks Chet recorded with George Benson
will be released or that RCA or whoever they are will get us all of Chet and Jerry's albums on Itunes.

Man, I'm waiting for that day. Ripping the albums from vinyl and cleaning up ticks and pops is a labor of love, but a labor nonetheless.
mattburnside

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins