Bogus Emails from Chetboarders

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Bogus Emails from Chetboarders

Postby PhilHunt » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:57 am

Has anyone else been getting bogus emails from fellow chetboarders? I seem to be getting them almost everyday. They advertise stupid stuff like Obama and male enhancement products.
Phil
PhilHunt

Re: Bogus Emails from Chetboarders

Postby Roger Pratt » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:49 am

I'm getting them too Phil but all of mine have come from the same Chetboarder. I'm in touch with him trying to solve the problem. He said it must be some kind of worm that we got off the CB. I don't know myself.
Roger Pratt

Postby thenorm » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:56 am

fungus amungus

give him time to address and kill the intruder

(it ain't me, btw)
thenorm

Postby Richard Hudson » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:57 am

I have been wondering about that too. This last one is from someone who I am sure is very careful. Strange. Somehow the scammer/virus inflictor is gaining access to address books.

I won't even join that LinkedIn thing that everyone is doing nowadays. I'm paranoid.
Richard Hudson

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:34 am

I just received on at 11:16 AM Aug 10, 2011 and I plan to delete it. The CB member whose name was used is not listed in the members list on this page; otherwise, I would send him a message. Perhaps someone else will make contact and advise him of the situation.
Thanks!
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby jay » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:45 am

I received one also...typically those come from the senders YAHOO or MSN account and just simply changing the password to that account will solve the problem. Most folks believe that they have a worm or virus and basically a bot has figured out their password to their public domain server email account. It is fairly common...with a simple solution.
jay kantor
jay

Postby RandeDager » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:53 am

The Chetboarder whose unintentionally sent emails that I've been receiving over the past few days
is quite well known and was here long before I was. I immediately recognized the problem because
I've been the victim of the same thing twice in the past and everyone on my 200+ member email
list has received an ad "from me". Only a few who know me well have let me know about it and I'm
sure others were disgusted and just didn't respond. I couldn't really let all of them know what happened
and often some would contact me months later to ask me things like "Hey, are you still in that pharmaceutical
business?" It disgusts me. I've contacted this person and let him know in advance that I already knew
he didn't mean for it to happen. He agreed and is now trying to resolve the issue.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Richard Hudson » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:13 pm

I got one a few minutes ago asking for a large amount of money for an emergency.

EDIT to say that I just thought of Rip, because he would have said "but you've got THE MONEY!" haha - I miss ol' Rip.
Richard Hudson

Postby BillB » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:03 pm

Richard,
I got the same email asking for money this morning. Pretty weird. It went straight to my junk email, and I deleted it from there. That's all that I've gotten, though. It did not come from anyone that I know.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Tompicks » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:52 pm

Here's part of an email I just got:

"How are you? i do hope that you receive this email in good health.I am
presently in Spain (Madrid) to be with my ill Cousin,whom is a
student here. She's suffering from a critical uterine fibroid and must
undergo a hysterectomy surgery to save her life ."

Will send him an email, don't have his phone #.
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins