HOF

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

HOF

Postby Paul Yandell » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:27 am

Wed is the start of the Chet Atkins HOF tribute they are having a party Wed night to start it off my family and I are going although Micah is going to get me a wheelchair so I can hold out, the HOF has put great looking billboards around Nashville with pictures of Chet's Gretsch guitars it's a great great thing for Chet I think he would really be proud of it, thanks paul
Paul Yandell

Re: HOF

Postby Richard Hudson » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:18 pm

I am glad to see Chet honored this way. I am also glad to see that you are planning to go to the party, Paul. Chet's contribution to Nashville's overall success in the music industry is immeasurable.

Wishing you the best, Paul.

Thanks,
Richard
Richard Hudson

Postby RandeDager » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:32 pm

Paul, I'm so impressed with your humility and how much potential "mainstream stardom" you chose not to have focused on yourself all these years. You should have easily been granted a "CGP" title like the 4 others did. I've known of several very discontented backup people over the years who wanted the spotlight for themselves and eventually broke away to go out on their own. Many people could have approached Chet back when you did but he was very fortunate to have taken a chance on the "perfect sideman".

I also want you to know how impressed I was to see what you did for Phil & Eddie in getting them up on that stage in 2009 at CAAS for the Jerry Reed tribute. I watched you make those phone calls. You have a very giving heart.

No, I'm not "brown-nosing" you, I was just very impressed to share these feelings with you after reading your post and the fond memories I've had of you and my visits backstage with you over the decades. I hope that your health continues to improve and that you can feel good again.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby thenorm » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:55 pm

Years ago Paul posted this about the CGP

'It was my idea to start the CGP awards. The year Jerry Reed got it was about two months before the CAAS gathering. I suggested to Chet that they give Jerry an award and call it the CGP award,
Chet had given me an obelisk of marble or jade he’d had sitting around in his of-fice. We took that to Mark Pritcher and he had it engraved. Chet gave it to Jerry at the CAAS.

A few years later I think Mark Pritcher got the idea to give one to John Knowles and he talked it over with Chet and they gave it to him. After Chet did that CD with Tommy Emmanuel and we all saw what a great player he was I suggested to Chet that they give one to Tommy which they did.

People ask me about it but nobody suggested about giving one to me. I always thought that, because it was my idea, that it would be in bad taste and self-serving for me to get one. I don't care for awards. I got the best award of all I got to work for Chet for 24 years.

Chet gave out only four CGP's, Jerry Reed, Steve Wariner, John Knowles and Tommy Emmanuel, there are two or three people who claim Chet gave them one but that's bogus there were and are only four. .." __Paul Yandell

One material thing he did get that is priceless and he recounts it here:

"...Over the years there has been quite a few discussions about Chet not giving me the CGP award. Chet did give me something very precious and dear to me on the night that Chet gave John Knowles his CGP at the CAAS.

After Chet did that he turned to me and gave me a small book he had started in Feb 12, 1950. It contains a list of all the tunes that he knew down through the years from A to Z. The book is leather bound and is worn…frayed at the edges. Most of the tunes are as Chet typed them but many are in his handwriting. When he gave it to me on the stage he said "...and I can play every one of them!” So you see I would rather have this small book that Chet kept for over 50 years than have the CGP. I thought you all would like to know about it...." __Paul Yandell
thenorm

Postby RandeDager » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks for that reminder, Norm. I was there that night when Chet gave Paul that "little black book" and I'll never forget Paul's expression and surprise. I'm not sure that anyone else would know that the "CGP" award was Paul's idea if he had received it, but then I guess that Paul would have known. That's the height of honesty.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby guitarchuck » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:39 pm

HOF by Paul Yandell » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:27 am

Wed is the start of the Chet Atkins HOF tribute they are having a party Wed night to start it off my family and I are going

Paul, glad you can go. I hope to visit the display before too long. I ordered the new G6122-1959 Hall of Fame Country Gentleman. It's a beautiful guitar! I love flame maple, orange finish and the 59 Country Gentleman. Perfect guitar for me.
guitarchuck

Postby Roger Pratt » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:18 pm

Thanks Paul for everything you do for Chet's memory and for all us Fingerstyle Guitar Pickers. You are the best and we love you!
Roger Pratt

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins