Old Grand Ole Opry films

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Old Grand Ole Opry films

Postby Eddie Estes » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:53 pm

The films of Chet on the Opry TV show like the Mister Sandman clip below.

I wonder if the negatives still exists for those. Maybe John Knowles can answer that.
It sure would be cool if whoever owns those would put them out in HD with the sound
synched better.
They would look tremendous in high definition.
Eddie Estes

Re: Old Grand Ole Opry films

Postby thenorm » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:17 pm

I think you're referring to that series that we see clips of.

Those aren't GOO films and I doubt they'll get redone. It's a sad state of affairs that they ever got put out so badly synched to begin with because they're real treasures

To redo them invites the old issues of copyright satisfaction amd the engineers doing the re-editing would want to get paid.

It's always about the money...
thenorm

Re: Old Grand Ole Opry films

Postby Vidar Lund » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:20 am

They are the Gannaway Schanachie films that were shot on "high quality 35 mm color film ... from 1954 through 1956", as stated on the boxes. "These legendary artists are captured here at the very peak of their powers, in their early days of their careers when one hit song followed another".

Video No 601 shows Webb Pierce and Chet Atkins, No 602 shows Ernest Tubb and Marty Robbins, and No 603 shows Ray Price, Jim Reeves and Ernest Tubb. As Norm says, parts of the film are badly syncronized. It´s expressly stated that these productions have nothing to do with The Grand Ole Opry, WSM or Opryland Inc. They´re well worth watching anyway, and Chet´s performances must have been sensational at the time - and for me they still are.
Vidar Lund

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins