Jerry

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Jerry

Postby keener » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:38 pm

Yesterday came and went without me realizing that it was the second anniversary of Jerry Reed's passing. Then, this morning I woke up from actually dreaming about Jerry, and realized then that I had forgotten.

Strange dream. Friends introduced me to Jerry, I think expecting we might pick together, but neither of us had a guitar. I rode around in his pickup with him, and we went to get his tires changed. Then we walked around in some small town, and he said to me "People think I'm dead. But I'm not. I'm 76 years old." Apparently the part of the mind responsible for dreams is not good at math, since Jerry would have been 73.

Anyway, I know this is the ChetBoard and not the JerryBoard, but I could never think of one without thinking of the other. I thought this anniversary period might be good for reflecting on how great they were together, and how great they were individually.

R.I.P. Jerry. You were one of a kind.

Update: Just a coincidence that really strikes me: In the cemetery that Jerry is in, he is placed in the Cross Mausoleum. In the cemetery that my wife is in, she is placed in the Cross Mausoleum. Jerry passed Sep 1, 2008 and my wife passed Sep 7, 2001. This added information doesn't really fit here, I guess ... I just had to share it with someone.
keener

Re: Jerry

Postby cgprnd » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:52 pm

Hi Bruce,

Your attention to detail is probably why you would associate both your wife's and Jerry's passing in the way you did.
It's also most likely responsible for why you picked up as much on the guitar as you have over the years. I can definitely relate!

Yes, I thought about Jerry's death yesterday but have been corrected when I've mentioned this before, by those who feel
it was August 31. I was once one of those. I've seen both dates "officially" mentioned. However, Sept. 1 seems to be the common consensus.

I'll never forget wondering who his guitarist was. His singing and showmanship was captivating but I was so distracted by that guitarist who I thought was playing behind him. It took me about 2 years to figure it all out. Then in about 1968 it all came together. And of course, watching him in concert left no question in my mind. I was amazed every time I saw him. He had talent oozing out of his pores. Then came acting and more of his talent oozed. I remember Burt Reynolds hosting the tonight show in the 70's and having Jerry as a guest and his intro was one of the most complimentary I'd ever heard Burt speak of anyone. Burt ran an acting school in Florida but Jerry never needed it.

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Re: Jerry

Postby keener » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:07 pm

Thanks, Rande.

Whichever date it really was (Wikipedia says Sep 1), Jerry will continue to be missed.

All my best
Bruce
keener

Return to Announcement and News