When Odell Martin and I first met

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

When Odell Martin and I first met

Postby Paul Yandell » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:42 am

Odell and I were both in high school and in the FFA each year they had a contest of music ect. both of uo went to the state finals I was in one catagory and Odell was in another I don't remember what tune I played but Odell played St. Louis Blues there was a rule that to be in his catagory you had to read music so Odell had his cousin hold some sheet music in front of him when he played Odell just acted like he was reading the music, we became friends that day and later I went to Nashille and I kept an eye out for a job for Odell when Bill Carlise needed a guitar player I called Odell an he came down and got the job, we were like brothers, guitar picking in Ky hasn't ever been the same since Odell died, paul
Paul Yandell

Re: When Odell Martin and I first met

Postby RandeDager » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks for sharing that story, Paul. I'll always be impressed/haunted by Odell's song "David's Dance". I'm glad to see you posting here again. I'm also sorry I missed you during your short visit to CAAS last week. I wasn't able to attend anyway, but hopefully I can next Summer and maybe you'll feel good enough to attend also.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Paul,

Sounds like you two were really like family. That happens to musicians, especially when they start out together and stay connected. Music creates strong bonds....like a brotherhood.

Thanks for sharing the story on the CB.
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby Richard Hudson » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:36 pm

Paul, one of the toughest things in life is losing close friends and family. I know you know that, but close friends like Odell was to you are impossible to replace. Those kinds of memories are what keeps you going. I never got to meet him, but he must have been a really good guy. Ronny Light accidentally found his daughter singing in a concert with some other people. Ronny didn't know who she was, but he was blown away by her talent. He went back stage to talk to her and compliment her on her singing and that's when he found out she was Odell's daughter. Odell would be proud, I know, to know that she has done so well.

I hope you are still writing tunes and recording. I sure would like to hear you pick again.

Richard
Richard Hudson

Postby guitarchuck » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:37 pm

Paul,
Thanks for sharing the story about Odell. Good to see you post here today. Praying you will get better soon.
guitarchuck

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins