6th Annual Chet Atkins Tribute, Franklin TN 7-12-11

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

6th Annual Chet Atkins Tribute, Franklin TN 7-12-11

Postby George Beasley » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:36 am

I attended the Chet tribute concert, sponsored by Artisan Guitars (http://www.artisanguitars.com) on Tuesday. It was a great night. Tommy Emmanuel was the host. Brooks Robertson opened the show, with Tommy joining him on the first song playing Borsalina, then playing a solo set. It was the first time I had seen Brooks play in person...wow! He is a fantastic player. Brooks was followed by Pat Kirtley, who was joined at one point by The Endless Road Strings and Tommy. Muriel Anderson then came on, also joined by strings for several songs, as well as bringing on a 10 year old percussionist named Adam Wooten, who played a wooden box to great effect. Tommy then came back on stage, where he introduced "Little Johnny Knowles". Tommy and John played "San Antonio Stroll", before John did a few solo tunes. John was then joined by strings for the Joe Brown version of "I'll See You In My Dreams" (from the Tribute to George Harrison concert). Tommy then came back out, and John and Tommy played cuts from their recently recorded and yet-to-be-released Christmas album. Tommy then did a solo set (including a lengthy medley of Chet tunes) before being joined by strings again. Finally Tommy brought all the players back on stage for a great version of "Happy Again", which included Tommy trading percussion licks with Adam.

It was a fantastic show, with all artists paying great tribute to Chet throughout their sets. I snapped a few pics, and thought you might like to see them.

Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Re: 6th Annual Chet Atkins Tribute, Franklin TN 7-12-11

Postby RonBloor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:44 am

That's a great report George.. Thanks.. I had to miss it this year, but looking at your pictures, the venue looks considerably better than where they held it in previous years.
The opening day of CAAS (yesterday) had a great lineup.. Enjoyed it.. Take care.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Re: 6th Annual Chet Atkins Tribute, Franklin TN 7-12-11

Postby George Beasley » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:51 am

Ron,

It is still held at The Factory, but it is in a different hall, with much better sound. That was helped a lot by the fact that Tommy had his personal sound man running the boards the whole night. The layout was more better as well, with the addition of video screens on each side of the stage showing a close up of the pickers.

And yes, last night was a great night! Muriel was great as usual. Eddie changed things up when he brought out David Holt, and they did a great set together. Doyle Dykes knocked me out when he played a telecaster....I had never seen him do that before! Tommy, Richard, Pat B, and Jim Nichols also were fantastic. I was tired by then, and hit the hotel bar before going to my room, so I missed Bresh's set.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins