Something I've wondered about but never asked...

Need help? Don't know how to embed youtube videos? Can't listen to mp3's on the forum? Problems browsing the Chetboard? Find the solution here!

Something I've wondered about but never asked...

Postby David Elliott » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:17 pm

This is probably a little "late in the game" to be asking, but since the new "ChetBoard" came into being I've wondered about some of the clickable links on the Index page...

What does "unviewed posts" mean? Unviewed by who, me, or anyone? ;) I would think nearly all posts would be "unviewed" (until somebody "views" them)! :)

What does "active topics" mean? Again, I'd think that all topics would be "active", as long as they've been posted!

One of the things I used to like about the old ChetBoard format, was that once you had read a post, it changed color when you brought the page up again, so you didn't have to scroll through a bunch of posts you'd already read, to get to the latest ones. I've found that about the only link I regularly use, is the "read new posts" one, but I'm not too sure that works unless you check the 'Board daily, because I always wonder if the "new" is compared to what, as I notice many of these seem to remain there for a while, even though I have already read them? :D

Just my thoughts...

David
David Elliott

Re: Something I've wondered about but never asked...

Postby guitarchuck » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:20 pm

David,
I always go to the "unviewed posts" when I log in. It shows all the posts that I haven't viewed. If you don't wish to view them all you can click on "Mark forums read" and they won't show up in your "unviewed posts" anymore.

The "active topics" lists the latest post at the top. Hope this helps.

Also, you have to be logged in for these funtions to work.
guitarchuck

Postby RandeDager » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:03 pm

David, I too have wondered about the same questions that you've posted. The answers have to be more involved than just "Do this........" because you never asked what to do! You and I both focus on the "View new posts" button but I agree that there is a lot of ambiguity in general.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby thenorm » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:36 pm

"Active Topics" is good if you want to check on a topic that "disappears" as they often do if no one posts for a while. I don't know how long the topics stay in the "active topics" list but it is handy once in a while.

"View unread posts" I've never fooled with that one much to really know what it's about. I generally puch "View New Posts" and go from there.

I keep forgetting to check my personal messages link, I don't often get a personal message but I know I inadvertently left people hanging waiting for a reply.
thenorm

Return to Support