Know this song/group from 60's-70's..

A place to share your music! Post and view audio links.

Know this song/group from 60's-70's..

Postby thumbslinger » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:21 pm

This will be the wildest shot in the dark possible.

I'm trying to identify a song/group I would hear on cassette tapes my dad made of the radio stations when I was little.

I was born in '68 so most likely, the song/group was playing on the radio between 71-75 as I have pretty good 'ear memory' of many of the era tunes.

I remember this being an instrumental, with strings, possibly horns....pretty sure it wasn't a Herb Alpert tune, but the main identifier were the singers, both male and female ...there were no words just the sound, well 'word'...of like dubba dubba duh...etc.... no, it wasn't that French gal that sang some arr. from Love Story..this was the main melody/words sung over and over...women would sing and males would sing in harmony.

Wow! How about this for a random and impossible task?

Just thought I'd try here. The memories of the radio play of the early to mid 70's are etched in my brain....but I haven't found who these people were or what the name of tune was. Seems like they may have had two songs on the charts. Quite likely, it could have been some ad music that made the charts.

Thanks for hanging in to this line!
kj
thumbslinger

Re: Know this song/group from 60's-70's..

Postby GlenHines » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:04 pm

That's not a lot to go on, but there was a group called the Swingle Singers that did some instrumental music with the singers being the instruments. There are some videos on YouTube that you can check out.
Glen Hines
GlenHines

Postby RandeDager » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:54 pm

Glen, I agree that it sounds like a description of "The Swingle Singers".
Rande
RandeDager

Postby PhilHunt » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:12 pm

This post reminds me of an episode of "Married with Children" where Al Bundy is on the hunt for an old 60's song and he finally goes into a record store and hums the tune to the guy behind the counter. Al says, "I don't know the words but all I know is that it goes...Hmmm...Hmmm...Him". While Al Bundy is in the record store the song starts playing in the overhead speaker of the store. Al Bundy get's so excited and starts dancing and yells, "That's it! That's It! That's my Song!!!" The record guy finds the 45 record for Al and wants to charge him a crazy price like $60 for the 45rpm record. A classic episode!
I think the song Al was desperate to find was The Beatles "Anna (Go With Him)."
PhilHunt

Postby thumbslinger » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:20 am

Well, thanks for playing.... most of the Swingle Singers were younger than possible, however the one that are singing classical numbers from France... I'll have to look into them as maybe they recorded more.

Sounds like a "Menudo" thing...keep the name of the band, replace singers as they get older!

Phil... that was a funny scene for sure!
thumbslinger

Return to Audio files