It is what you make of it

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

It is what you make of it

Postby thenorm » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:20 pm

So it looks like rather than adapt to the new board and take charge of it you guys are just going to sulk?

It's a little different, sure, but it still has a general forum, an audio video area and the Paul Yandell FAQ is stil there.
The only thing that isn't is Actifve Participation.

One of the best features of this thing is that right under Chet's picture is a clickable link that will bring up new posts.

So Make Some!

That's how dialogues and exchanges start.

Or you can let a good web resource dry up because a bunch of people couldn't handle having to learn something new.

It's just like learning a new song.

Practice.
thenorm

Re: It is what you make of it

Postby Richard Hudson » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:40 pm

I like the "view new posts" link. That brings all the new posts since my last visit and I don't miss anything rather than visiting each section individually.
Richard Hudson

Postby RonBloor » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:49 pm

I certainly think the "View New Posts" feature is a great improvement over the old forum which seemed to track posts via cookies and it never worked worth a hoot.. So this is a great improvement. The ability to edit and or delete your own posts is also great. I certainly see the benefits of this new forum. However, I don't consider myself one of the holdouts. I accept it.. and thank Tom for doing it. :)
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Terry Tolley » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:31 pm

On the old board, I would have to look carefully for the new by each post to find the latest posts. It worked reasonably well for me, but like has been pointed out...the WebBBS software was not supported and so...no updates were happening to keep it current. Many kudos for all those who kept it up for as long as it was. I am sure it was a daunting task! Personally, I seldom make posts, especially on some of the more controversial items. I've always been one who looks for interesting topics....and there are always several....to see what I could learn. I don't like it when the topic du jour gets sidelined from Chet, his music, or the guitar and those who know how to play it. This board is just like the old one, in that it is not the end, rather a means to an end. The end, of course, is learning more about the greatest guitarist who has ever been, and trying to learn those impossible licks. To that end, I think it works very well, and I look forward to learning more things as I learn to use this new forum better than I do now. I'm sure it will change again with time. I'll get through it so I can learn more about Chet.
Terry Tolley

Postby cgprnd » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:17 pm

Well, I can say that I've never posted any audio clips on the board and was once believing I knew how to go about this and now we've moved to a new system. Having taught computer programming for a number of years, seems to have no bearing on my getting around in this web environment. I was dealing with computers for 26 years before I ever logged into my first URL. I guess my first hurdle is to get a decent sound in my recording, but even after that, I'll still have to be able to post it to this new system.

Regarding the regular posts, I still have trouble knowing which response pairs up with which statement made? In other words, a topic is started and when I look at the 7th post down I don't know if it was meant for the original comment or for one of the posts responding to it? I was used to looking at the indentations.

As I've stated before, it goes beyond just getting used to something new. It has to do with features that are now being done without or extra features added. HOW to deal with a feature isn't my issue. The functionality feels different.

However, I still appreciate Tom's hard work here and the fact that this board even exists as we move into the 10th year since Chet's passing.

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Return to Announcement and News