Sad News about Glen Campbell

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Sad News about Glen Campbell

Postby dgallent » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:14 pm

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... iagnosis/1

One of the best ever and a dear friend of Jerry and Chet Atkins....I am devastated to hear this....this guy could do it all!
dgallent

Re: Sad News about Glen Campbell

Postby PhilHunt » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:30 pm

I really wish they would release the Complete Goodtime Hour Shows on dvd. TimeLife released Goodtime again but it only contained a few shows. I'm assuming Glen owns all the masters to all the shows.
Boy, Glen and Jerry really cooked on the jam session parts of those shows. I have alot of them, but there are still some shows that had Jerry as a guest that I don't have that I would love to see.
PhilHunt

Postby jay » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:45 pm

Phil,

I have been a huge Glen fan since the 60's. He is what brought me to Jerry, who in turn brought me to Chet.

While on vacation, I read this review

http://www.topix.com/forum/entertainmen ... PBVOUJ3SJ4

and thought...how sad...something has to be wrong. I had seen a couple of interviews with him recently and his responses seemed a little disjointed but I thought the cat is 70ish and probably gets tired of the same ol Rhinestone Cowboy questions .... and probably doesnt give a rats @$$ about his responses.

Very sad. A great guitarist and very successful entertainer.
jay kantor
jay

Postby craigdobbins » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:04 pm

So sorry to hear this about Glen...
craigdobbins

Postby RandeDager » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:28 pm

I remember "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" and "Witchita Lineman" while on a flight in 1968, which was when I was first aware of Glen. Then he was with Jerry on TV soon afterward and then he did an album with Bobby Gentry. I also had a 12 string guitar instrumental album on which Glen recorded one of the tracks, which was a song called "Bull Durham". He eventually faded away over the years but I thought that everyone was still aware of him until about 2003 or so when my youngest daughter, who was 24 at the time, was on a flight to New York and met Glen coming out of the plane's restroom. She didn't have any idea who he was and he had a little fun with her. She asked him if he was on a business trip. He told her that he was a musician on his way to sing for a private birthday party. She asked him if he had done any recording. He answered her by beginning to sing "Rhinestone Cowboy". She still had no idea who he was. Everyone around laughed and, very confused, she went back to sit down. The person next to her told her that he thought she had been joking. She asked if she SHOULD know him? That's when everything was explained to her. She then felt stupid and told me the story when she arrived home. She said that Glen was very gracious and never acted insulted. People who are common in my mind tend to fade away and I have to remember WHEN they were famous in order to understand why so many today aren't aware of them.

This recent news was sent to me a few hours before I read this post. I'm sorry to see him go through this.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby David Elliott » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:29 pm

Yeah, Glen is one very talented guy. And he's still one helluva guitarist.

I've had the opportunity to see him twice in personal appearances, once in a show in Russell Springs, Kentucky (Steve Wariner's folks lived there at the time, and he was putting on a concert for a benefit and Glen came up to help out), and once in Atlantic City, New Jersey, where he was the headline entertainer at a convention I attended there. I'll never forget that show in Kentucky, as it was at the County Fairgrounds there, and it was so damned hot and humid it was unbelievable! About halfway through the show it came up a cloudburst that was like a 'monsoon', and of course it was an outdoor show! One of the best concerts I've ever been to! The last time I saw him was about 12 years ago, and he was 'prime time' at that appearance. I even got a chance to briefly talk with him. Very personable man!

David
David Elliott

Postby dgallent » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:28 pm

This is the best way to remember both of them...two great friends having lots of fun making wonderful music...I see Prissy and Seidina singing backup to Glen. These two greats simply brought out the best in each other....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr5V3m6JMwY
dgallent

Postby jay » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:43 pm

Glen and those shorts! LOL!!!!

The video below, I think, is one of the best videos epitomizing Jerry and Glens prowess on the frets AND how much fun they had together. Not to mention, it is one of my favorite Reed tunes.

Thanks Phil for posting this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6gPHpl7sjs
jay kantor
jay

Postby Bluebird_12 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:18 pm

I am so sad about this, having been a fan since I was twelve years old. He's the biggest reason I play guitar today.

Over the last 11 years I have been able to collect 7 of his personally owned guitars custom-built for him by Ovation, including the very first one that was used from the first scene of the Goodtime Hour on through the first season and a half.

I pray for him and his family through this ordeal.

Wayne

Bluebird_12

Postby thenorm » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:36 pm

Just curious...

What features (other than the GC on the fingerboard ) set the guitars apart?
thenorm

Next

Return to Announcement and News