A Father's Day Tribute

Watch and share videos from youtube

A Father's Day Tribute

Postby keener » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:39 pm

As a Father's Day tribute, I am posting two tunes for my father, George Keener, RIP 2003.

The first is a tune is one I wrote for him and my "second musical father", Chet Atkins (RIP 2001) [Tune recorded last year]

http://youtu.be/MbGEAnFDv5Q

George Keener was of course my father, a great father, in every respect, and also the greatest man I have ever known. But Chet was also a true musical father to me ... without the influence of both my Dad and Chet, I probably would never have even picked a guitar up.

The second tune is one that was made popular by the late, great Jerry Reed: Papa's Knee. This is my rendering of it, in a slightly different D-tuning than Jerry used (6th dropped to D, 3rd dropped to F#). I have associated this tune with my Dad ever since it came out, some 40 or so years ago.

http://youtu.be/nLm-bUaG_l0

I used the slightly different D tuning than Jerry did because I just wanted to see how moving some of his fourth string action to the third string would work. It made playing the tune easier is some respects and harder in others, pretty much as you would expect when "you change gears" on a tune.

Anyway, this of course is intended for your listening pleasure, but it is most especially intended as an honoring of my fathers.
Last edited by keener on Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keener

Re: A Father's Day Tribute

Postby RonBloor » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:43 pm

Very nice as always Bruce.. I hope your kids treat you well this father's day weekend. Take care.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby BillB » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Nice playing, Bruce! That Gretsch has a nice tone.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby keener » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:59 pm

Thank you very much Ron and Bill !

I forgot to mention that the CG belonged to Dad from when he bought it new in the early 70's until his passing in 2003. It is a sweetheart and I used to play it a fair amount when I lived with Mom and Dad, and later when I visited them.

Thanks again, and I hope you all have a great Father's Day.
keener

Postby rhirvine » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:44 pm

thanks bruce. it sounds great to me. wish I could play like you.

rich irvine
rhirvine

Postby keener » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:53 pm

Thank you very much Rich. As far as picking goes, we all have things we do a little better, or at least different than others. If we were to meet and I watched you play, I assure you I would learn something from you.

All my best,
Bruce
keener

Postby Richard Hudson » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:29 pm

That's very nice, Bruce. I am just sitting here thinking about my Dad today.
Richard Hudson

Postby keener » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:01 pm

Richard, thank you very much sir. Yes, thinking about mine a lot, too. No man ever influenced more than he did. Darn shame that I don't always use all his wisdom as I should.
keener

Postby RandeDager » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:07 am

Bruce, you've demonstrated some nice control. Many people don't have enough. I'm glad that you're putting in the time.

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Postby keener » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:18 pm

Thank you Rande. Nice to hear from you.
keener

Return to Video Files