Old mystery revealed

Watch and share videos from youtube

Old mystery revealed

Postby Roger Hardin » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:20 pm

Several people from the chetboard sent me this a few years ago. it was the really bad rendition of "Oh Holy Night."
Its funny because the guy singing this is an old acquaintance of mine from Greenville SC. His name is Steve Mauldin.

Steve is a composer here in Nashville TN and has worked with some really big names. Steve's first job after moving to Nashville in 1981 was playing Bass with Chet.

Last edited by Roger Hardin on Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roger Hardin

Re: Old mystery solved

Postby rhudson » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:45 pm

So, was it a spoof? Enquiring minds want to know. :D
rhudson

Postby Roger Hardin » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:10 pm

I remember Steve traveling with his family to churches in SC singing harmony with the Mauldin Family singers. Steve is a very skillful singer so I say yes.
Roger Hardin

Postby Billy Anderson » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:49 am

Maybe my sense of humor has taken leave for today but I don't find one thing funny about this video. Why someone would be proud of screwing up this beautiful song is beyond me. I guess to each his own! jmho! Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby Phil Owens » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:14 am

Thanks Roger!

Ben found the audio while at college in Greenville (Bob Jones); it is still legendary there. We searched Youtube for the guilty party, but you can tell those are all lip-synced. This is hilarious.

Ben is checking in this Saturday for his senior year.

Phil
Phil Owens

Postby Richard Hudson » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:17 am

It's amazing that sometimes it takes a lot more talent to intentionally do something wrong than to do it right.
Richard Hudson

Postby Phil Owens » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Richard Hudson wrote:It's amazing that sometimes it takes a lot more talent to intentionally do something wrong than to do it right.

The guy is a genius. And if laughter is medicine, he's nearly an MD.
Phil Owens

Postby Roger Hardin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:38 pm

Ben is checking in this Saturday for his senior year

Glad to hear Ben is doing well at Bob Jones.

I have always been so impressed with Steve Mauldin's musical ability and he has always been so serious I would have never guessed this came from him.

Take Care
roger
Roger Hardin

Postby Paul Yandell » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:30 am

I started working with Chet in 1975 I don't think I ever met this gentleman, thanks paul
Paul Yandell

Postby Roger Hardin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:07 pm

Paul Yandell Wrote:
I started working with Chet in 1975 I don't think I ever met this gentleman, thanks paul

Paul

Steve worked with me on an arrangement around 1980. He wrote me a personal note on a scorecard in 1982 that he had been working with Chet Atkins and Chet worked on his right hand dexterity more than anything else. Other than that and the info from his bio, http://www.stevemauldin.com/biography.html I have no idea what capacity he worked with Chet in. In the bio he says he was offered a job with Chet so I could be wrong on this.
From Steve's Bio:
In 1981, Steve moved to Nashville Tennessee. Within weeks of his arrival Steve was offered a job playing bass for world-renowned guitarist Chet Atkins

You would know better than anyone and I have no reason to doubt anything you say so could it be that he played Bass with Chet on some other gig other than his band or, he was just offered a job?

Thanks
roger
Roger Hardin

Next

Return to Video Files