Mountain Melody

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Mountain Melody

Postby Fred » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:41 pm

Anybody know the history of Mountain Melody?....been listening to it it and WOW, such a masterpiece.
Fred

Re: Mountain Melody

Postby Pickin Palmer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:16 pm

I don't know the "history" behind the tune other than Chet wrote it - and, it's (as you have sensed) full of Chet licks. Mike Joyce did a real good job tabbing that devil up. If you come to the CAAS convention this year - have Richard Smith play it for you - he puts things in there that would amaze Chet...
Pickin Palmer

Postby RandeDager » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:41 pm

Yes, I remember Richard playing that song when he was still visiting CAAS from England with his 2 brothers. I'll also never forget his version of "Alabama Jubilee" with all of his extra licks.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Randy Finney » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:56 pm

I don't know anything about the actual history of the tune but, I know it is considered by some pretty heavy hitters - namely, Steve Berkowitz, Bob Irwin, Seth Rothstein, John Scofield, and Richard Seidelone - as one of Chet's most historically significant contributions to guitar playing.

These guys produced the 78 song, critically acclaimed 2005 Sony anthology "Progressions: 100 Years Of Jazz Guitar" which includes "Mountain Melody".

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby Pickin Palmer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:06 am

"namely, Steve Berkowitz, Bob Irwin, Seth Rothstein, John Scofield, and Richard Seidelone"

Yea, Randy, I like Sparky Lyle and Mary Tyler Moore, too.. LOL Seriously though, what a great piece of heritage about Chet's influence in the jazz world. Who would have ever thought that a little "4" chord diddy (w/ a "Kentucky turn" at the end) would have found it's way onto a Jazz Guitar anthology list. They obviously "listened" to what Chet was saying with that tune. Amazing use of "open strangs."

As another sidebar of "interesting" (well, interesting to me (lol) information, I took a little issue with Mike when he was tabbing that tune up as to "where" Chet was grabbing the first A (tune is in E) "trick" - because the late Billy Tustin had shown me where it was. After he showed me I asked Billy how "he" knew where it was and he nonchalantly replied, "Because that's where Chet showed me it was." (I had known Billy as a personal friend and HUGE mentor for 3 or 4 years without him ever dropping this bomb on me that he hung out with Chet back stage at the GOO when they both were playing the Opry. Shoot, he was so unpretentious that he didn't even know that he'd taught Lenny Breau how to play Chet style.)

It's taken me 70 years, but I'm trying to keep my eyes n' ears open to the wonders of the world of music. Your information and this lil' trip down memory lane has surely "made my day." Thanks, Randy. Good luck with this tune, Fred - drop in the Picker's Club Room at CAAS next month and we'll attempt to pick this one for you.
Pickin Palmer

Postby Fred » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:48 am

Thanks for all the great info, gents.
Fred

Postby Pickin Palmer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:18 pm

YW, Fred... Hope to see you at CAAS.

RANDY!!! Wow, I ordered that 100 Years of Jazz Guitar from Amazon for only $26 bucks - and, it's an amazing collection of historical music. I'm wearing the book out. Thanks, again, for that information...

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins