Past Chet concert

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Past Chet concert

Postby robertsilver27 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:59 am

Chet conducted a concert for Billy Ed Wheeler at Warren Wilson Coledge near Oteen NC sometime in the early 90s.
The place was so packed they had to move to another building. There was a female performer with him who played
the guitar in a oriental style. I did not get her name. Anybody know who she was?
robertsilver27

Re: Past Chet concert

Postby Randy Finney » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:48 am

I did a quick google of your inquiry sitting here having my morning tea, and the names Dava and Dawn Osborn popped up. (Dava passed away in 2000.)

Was it this 1992 event?

http://www.pennsstore.com/events/2007GOBperformers.htm

Randy
Randy Finney

Re: Past Chet concert

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:11 pm

Robert,

In 1991 I attended that concert in a small chapel at Warren Wilson College, and the player you inquired about is Muriel Anderson. That evening she played several songs including her Sakura 'Cherry Blossom' from her "Heart Strings" album that has a Japanese theme. She also played her signature arrangement of "Nola" on classical guitar. Chet called her out to accompany him.

I recall there was no air conditioning and the show was over-sold at $10 for admission. Some of the attendees had to sit on the floor in the aisle and on the stage. It probably was a violation of the fire code, but as they say it is sometimes easier to get forgiveness than permission. As for the heat, Chet made light of it, commenting that "the sweat makes it easier to slide up and down the guitar neck, and it's probably good for us to sweat ". He added, "Many of us didn't used to have air conditioning and we left our windows up and we could hear our neighbors talking and dogs barking".

Chet went there to perform for his good fiend Billy Edd's ‘Smoky Mountain Song Chase’ that he sponsored to help new songwriters. Chet signed autographs afterward...see the photo.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1036425382 ... y5SIp6CsGg
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins