installing classical strings

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

installing classical strings

Postby stevemumma » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:30 pm

On D'Addario bass strings, one end (about an inch) is more flexible and not wound as tightly as the string itself. Which end does that go? I've always tide that at the bridge end. Am I okay with this ? Thanks...Steve
stevemumma

Re: installing classical strings

Postby thenorm » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:56 pm

I think so.
You could always go to the D'addario site. I'm sure they have tutorials or even try youtube or google. But I think you're on the right track because it's easier to tie the "Spanish Knot" at the bridge with the soft end.
thenorm

Postby Mike Detlefsen » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:47 pm

I think the end that has the loose wrappings is the most likely to become unravelled and/or stretch. I always (40+ years) used the "normal" end.

Mike
Mike Detlefsen

Postby John Knowles » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:05 pm

I tie the stiff end at the bridge. The loose end is too unpredictable. John
John Knowles

Postby RonBloor » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Like John... stiff end at the bridge... I've always wondered why people do that braid thing at the bridge.. basically winding the string around itself a number of times. I really don't think they need that. The wound strings are too rough to slip and for the non-wound strings, I put them through the hole in the bridge twice.. even the G string.. Same at the tuner end.. I put them through twice. I'm no expert, but I haven't had any trouble doing it this way.
Buster B Jones' How-to video on youtube is pretty much what I do.
It takes me twice as long to string a nylon... than a steel string... but the nylon strings last much longer than steel. IMHO.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby thenorm » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:14 pm

Not that I would ever argue with John...
I stand corrected.

Here's the D'Addario tutorial

http://www.daddario.com/DADMediaDetail.Page?MediaId=31
thenorm

Postby John Knowles » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:55 pm

Thanks for the video link, Norm. I couldn't tell from the camera angle, but I think he was leaving more slack in the string than I do. I leave as little slack as possible. I learned the knots I use from Kirk Sand. They're pretty similar to the knots in the video. I also avoid pulling on the string as nylon strings can stretch unevenly which will cause them to play out of tune. Also, Kirk kids me about not using a string winder. I'm so old school.

I'll add that I've been changing my strings more often since I got my Sand guitar. I know it costs more but it sounds so good.

John
John Knowles

Postby stevemumma » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:15 pm

Nice to hear from everyone! Thank you all very much...Steve
stevemumma

Postby thenorm » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:17 pm

When I worked in a music store years ago I was the restring guy and sometimes I'd use the stiff end and sometimes the braided end. No internet to learn from and I didn't know any classical players. In my day the nylon string was considered a "folk" guitar. If I remember I think I didn't like a lot of slack either. Takes long enough to wait them out.

I didn't use the twice through method at the bridge as he described either. I used that odd half hitch "Spanish Knot" which could be a bear to get the end to lie down sometimes.
Frank Ford uses the soft end and does the Spanish Knot

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musicia ... cstr1.html

This guy wants you to melt the end on the trebles

http://www.staffordguitar.com/helpstringtrebles.asp

This guy uses the D'Addario described knot but also ties a knot at the tuner barrel! And doesn't use a string crank.

http://howtostringaguitar.net/how-to-st ... cal-guitar

No two alike...
thenorm

Postby craigdobbins » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:23 pm

Thought I'd weigh in on this one. I use the stiff end at the bridge. I loop the wound strings and the G string twice, and the E and B three times. (No fancy knots or twists, just loops.) Any excess I cut with nail clippers, so the strings won't mar the top.

Like John, I don't leave too much slack at the tuners. Again, I just use a simple loop at the tuners, no fancy knots.) Also like John, I never tug on nylon strings, as it can stretch them unevenly and cause them to note flat or sharp. Sometimes I use a string winder, sometimes not. I clip the excess string with nail clippers (they cut the nylon really well), leaving 1/2" ~ 1" or so. I also use nail clippers to cut the old strings off the guitar (after slackening them a little), unless I'm going to save the string. (Saves time.)

I prefer to let the strings stretch naturally over a day or two (or three, or four, or five...), and just play (and tune) a lot. They seem to sound better and last a little longer that way.

Also, I usually wind up replacing a couple of strings that won't note true, especially with certain strings. The D'Addario ProArte seem to tune better than most. I use them on my Sand, and LaBella 820 red flamenco strings on my Takamines and Clawmaster.

Craig
craigdobbins

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment