Recommendation software for CD covers ?

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Recommendation software for CD covers ?

Postby Larry Lenhart » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:11 am

A friend of mine did some covers for me using a software program that he has and they turned out very nice-professional looking...unfortuneately the cd didnt sound as good...me picking....he said his software program cost around $1,000...way out of my price range ! What would you guys recommend that would still do a decent job without spending that much. I am mostly interested in just putting a picture on the cover, maybe some narrative, and table of contents on the back. thanks in advance for any software recommendations.
Larry Lenhart

Re: Recommendation software for CD covers ?

Postby Roger Hardin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:20 am

If you want a high end alternative to Adobe photoshop I would say go with gimp http://www.gimp.org/. There is a learning curve but you can do about anything you want and its free. Do a google search for CD label and Jewel box label templates for gimp and you will be on your way. There are plenty of programs that will do CD labels but most seem to have limitations. Gimp is an open source free alternative to the big boys.

Here is another link for for Gimp CD label plugins. http://blog.worldlabel.com/2009/fast-la ... ource.html
Roger Hardin

Postby PhilHunt » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:42 am

You can buy the memorex printable cd covers at Staples that come with the program disc. It's very easy to use and dirt cheap.
PhilHunt

Postby GlenHines » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:38 pm

One other alternative is PowerPoint - the "slide presentation" software in MicroSoft office. I mention it only because you may already have it. PowerPoint is often called the Swiss Army Knife of software since there's so much you can do with it. I've used it many time to work up a CD cover and then print it. Then it's just a matter of cutting it to fit the jewel case.
Glen Hines
GlenHines

Return to Guitars and Equipment